Chapter 65: "In-Tense"

Assalamo'Alaikom Losties! Enjoy the comeback ^_^ 

Don't forget to post your reactions as you read!

First draft: October 28, 2021

"My lungs might collapse if you squeeze anymore," she said, her voice strained.

"What? Oh, sorry!" Zayn quickly loosened his arms around her.

Salma sank to her feet, heaving a huge gulp of breath.

"You alright?" Zayn asked, feeling bad to see her massaging her ribs.

"Yeah," Salma replied with a tired smile. "Just give me a sec."

Zayn rubbed her back, a bit confused. He was sure he had not squeezed her into a hug that hard. Yes, he wanted to, but he did not want to make her feel uncomfortable by appearing like he had no self-control. Perhaps he did not realize he was actually acting on his impulse, not just imagining it, but doing it.

Salma exhaled a breath. Zayn turned to her, worriedly.

"I'm fine," she reassured. "Come on, I'm not that fragile!"

"Good to know." Zayn smiled. "I thought I broke something in there."

Salma smiled and rolled her eyes. Zayn chuckled, circling his arms around her, loosely this time.

"So? Hungry?" he asked.

"Umm, not really," Salma replied, "but I'll join you if you fancy a bite."

"No, I think I'm good too. In fact, I don't think I'll want anything for a quite some time," he said.

Salma frowned playfully. She tilted her head, confused by his weird reply.

"See, my needs are simple and wants few –"

"Oh come on!" Salma threw her head back in protest, catching his drift.

Zayn tightened his arms around her waist to keep her steady, laughing at her embarrassment.

"I really feel quite fulfilled now that I have you," Zayn continued teasing.

"Why?" Salma wailed dramatically.

"I only want you, that's why?"

He saw her turn beetroot before she quickly turned back towards him to hide her face in his shirt.

"No, why do you have to say things like that?" she complained.

"Because I love it when you blush like that," Zayn replied, chuckling.

Salma jerked her head away from his chest.

"I'm not," she said, forcing herself to look into his eyes. "I don't blush."

"No?" Zayn smiled. "Then why do you look like my tomato Bee."

More blood crept to her cheeks.

"I don't," she denied uselessly.

"Aww, Bee," Zayn cooed. "Does it make you feel uncomfortable?"

"Yes," she said firmly. "And so you can't say things like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like . . ." she paused, then turned to him with her brow furrowed. "You know what I mean."

"No, I don't." Zayn shrugged.

"Of course you do, you're thinking it," Salma said crossly. "You can't just say everything you're thinking about me."