Chapter 109-Jai

I rise early and shower.  We've got heaps of appointments today.  I step out of my bedroom thinking about how after eleven more days, we'll be finally sharing. 
I stride down the hallway to grab my keys when I notice a few blokes are working in the kitchen. 
"Carlos," I grin greeting him. 
Jamal and Khalan are helping him put up the grey glass tile backsplash.  I'd completely forgotten. I greet them as well.
"Morning.  You're up early," Carlos replies.  "Where are you off to?"
"We've got a morning appointment to make," I shrug it off. 
"Oh?  What's that?" Javier asks from behind me.
I chuckle and give him a man hug.  "Hey, how are you?  I didn't see you there," I reply. 
"Yeah, I'm easy to miss," he teases. 
I laugh at that. 
"We've got our meeting at the county courthouse for our marriage license today," I mention. 
"That's exciting.  Making it official already?" Carlos comments. 
"Yup.  We'll I'm off.  It's looking bonzer," I tell them. 
"Thanks, man."  "Good luck."  "Have fun with that!" they all answer differently. 
"Yeah, we'll lock up," Javier teases. 
I chuckle and tell them I'll see them later.  I head out and get in the Camero. I drive over to Meg's rellies' and pull into her driveway. I step out and cross the bitumen to their veranda. I knock on the door. Nick opens it and greets me.
"Good morning," he says letting me in. "I'm on my way out but Hannah has breakfast set out for you."
"Thanks," I reply waving to him as he leaves.
I step inside to see Hannah in the kitchen.
"Good morning, Jai," she says setting out a plate for me. There's a vegetable omelette and a cup of yoghurt with fruit and some sort of granola on top.
"Morning," I reply. "Thanks for brekky."
"Anytime," she laughs lightly plating another omelette—one smaller than mine.
I feel thin, delicate arms wrap around me from behind before there's a kiss to my cheek.
"Good morning, Nutmeg," Hannah greets her.
"Morning, Mom," she says to her.  "Good morning, Jai," she whispers to me as she releases me.
"Morning, love," I reply happy to finally see her.  "Thanks," she tells her mum about the eggs.
Meg sits beside me and I kiss her gently. I've missed her.  She smiles in reply.
I try the yoghurt and granola.  It's good—chewy. 
"Is this sorghum?" I ask Hannah. 
"It is," she nods. 
"I've heard of that," Meg replies trying hers as well.  "It's delicious."
Maybe I should make something like this for her sometime.  I never have but Hannah usually makes some simple things—more complex for special occasions. 
Hannah sits down with us, sipping a cup of coffee.  She asks about what my rellies and mates will eat.  I tell her her cooking is fine.  I explain my dad's preference for snags and how the rest of them would prefer healthy meals instead of rich, fattier types.  She nods taking it in.  She asks if they'd rather have typical Australian meals or more American styles.  I tell her to make what she wants.  They'll eat whatever she gives them... or they'll go hungry.  She laughs at that and thanks me before we leave. 
"Should I drive?" Megan asks.
"I thought I would," I shrug. 
"Yeah..." she drags it out. "We're going downtown.  I don't know if you want to leave your car unattended down there," she mentions. 
"It's got a car alarm and it's insured," I point out. 
She wavers at this. 
"It'll be fine," I insist. 
"Alright," she agrees but I can tell when she sits beside me as I drive off that she's praying... always praying.  I like that. 
I pull into the area with the courthouse and park on a side street.  I pay the meter and I do notice a couple of sketchy-looking blokes checking out my ride.  I lock up and click the car alarm.  They walk off but look back at it.  I start praying, too.  I don't want to have to get another.  I see some coppers patrolling the area and several people are walking around.  It should be fine. 
We stride down a few blocks on the footpath to the courthouse.  We walk up to it and it's very classical in appearance—grand even.  What we're doing today feels more real, like we're solidifying this between us and I couldn't be more content about it.  We enter into the courthouse and go to the common pleas offices.  We wait in a lounge room to be called back.  Megan takes my hand. 
"Are you nervous, love?" I ask her. 
"No," she grins.  "Are you?"
I shake my head as I meet her eyes.  I lean in for a kiss.  Of course we're called back now of all times. 
We follow the office worker down a corridor leading into the workroom filled with cubicles.  She sits at a desk and motions for us to sit as well.  We take our seats across from her.  She recites the state laws and some of them are strange—like parents' permission for those under eighteen.  She talks about Ohio laws splitting assets unless we have a premarital contract—a prenup.  Tom's words ring in my head at that and she mentions that we'd both need separate council for something like that.  I dismiss it.  I don't think I'd want to drag her through such a thing.  Meg's not the type.  She asks for our documentation and Megan surrenders hers.  The lady fills out a form then returns her documents.  She asks for mine and I hand them to her.  She raises an eyebrow but fills out the form.  She actually leaves us for a moment and comes back with a stack of paperwork.  I must be an unusual case.  It takes a bit longer while she fills those out.  She asks us a few more questions that Meg mostly answers.  She tells them what she'll be changing her name to and my heart clenches joyfully at that.  Then she actually reads some other laws to us—more for my benefit about visas and whatnot... permanent residency.  I nod in understanding.  Afterward, as she lists off even more regulations... we kind of surprisingly say the I dos in a legal, unromantic sort of manner.  I pay the fees.  We sign some forms and we're congratulated. 
We step out of the courthouse with the document in hand.  We look at each other and laugh.  I pull her closer to me and kiss her.  I insist on a selfie with her and our form in front of the building to commemorate the moment.  It looks incredible. 
"So... wife?" I tease nudging her cheek with my face. 
"It's not official until we declare it with God's participation," she insists. 
I know this... but I can't help but be happy.  I kiss her again and have to post something on my soccies—without our document, of course.  I drive her to the social security building in another part of town—out of the CBD entirely.  She goes in and we wait a little while before she's called to the front desk.  She hands a form from her pile of documents to the bloke.  He fills out something on his computer and prints it out.  She pays a fee before thanking him for his time and takes the document. 
"It's all done," she grins at me. 
"What is love?" I ask. 
"I just changed my name.  I decided to hold off on signing any of my artwork until this was completed," she tells me as we step out of the boring looking box of a government building. 
I ask to see her paper.  She surrenders it to me.  Megan Eliana Courtney.  I frown at that and pull her closer. 
"I thought you'd be happy," she says softly in my embrace. 
"I am so happy, love," I insist.  I pash her in the car park. 
"So am I," she whispers breathlessly.