Chapter 49-Meg

Meg

I have to keep my promise to Jai—that if it rains, we'll go shopping. It rains a good portion of Saturday morning. He takes me to the Queen Victoria Building in an area called George Street. This place is ridiculously expensive and he wants to buy me something. I tell him no, that we can go to a place that isn't so high end. He actually laughs lightly at that and mumbles that I'm nothing like any other sheila he's ever known. I take that as a compliment... I guess? I just can't buy something here. I do photograph the place though—the exterior and interior are beautiful. We stroll through the mall during the earlier morning and then around the area while the rain stops briefly. I get to see St Andrews Cathedral for a little while before we go to the Strand Archade and the Pitt Street Mall. He talks me into buying a few things and I see he gets some stuff for himself, too.
After lunch, we go back to Darling Harbor—the place we were at last night—and it looks totally different during the daytime. He takes me to the aquarium and zoo and promises to take me to the science museum next time we come to Sydney since we're flying out on Monday. We drop my color film off at a shop and I order process only before heading home for the night.
Jai's parents join us for Palm Sunday service and I'm overjoyed to escort them to their first church service. Afterwards, we take them out to lunch and we tour The Art Museum of New South Wales. We get to view traditional, modern, and even aboriginal art. The exhibition is incredible and I enjoy talking with Karen all about the art. We hug them both goodbye and I'm sorrowful that I probably won't get to see them again until our next visit here.
I sigh sadly on the way back to Jai's house. We pack our bags and he asks me if I want to go out. I decide I'm a bit exhausted but I kind of want to leave it up to him. I think he actually notices so we stay here and order in. We go swimming and lounge around his yard and in his hot tub. We shower and do a Bible study together before sitting around his living room watching tv. When we're ready for bed, he walks me to my room and kisses me at the door.
"We're leaving in the morning," he tells me.
"Yeah," I reply as he leans up against me, against the door.
"What's the plan when we get back?" he asks nuzzling my neck.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"Should I get a hotel room?" he inquires.
"I think you're welcome to stay at my parents' house indefinitely," I joke hugging him.
"Were they serious?" he presses.
"I think so," I nod.
"Alright," he whispers before he kisses me. "Goodnight, love."
"Goodnight," I reply softly.
I sit down on my bed and pull my phone out of my pocket. I'm about to plug it in to charge it but I see an incoming call. It's another area code from my hometown with a random phone number. I decide to let it go to voicemail. I plug it in and get in bed, turning off the light. I lay down and close my eyes. I hear a buzz as I drift off. I sigh and decide to play it. If it's a telemarketer... whatever but I have a feeling it's not.
I play the voicemail and it's him. I stop it two seconds in. I write down the number and block it before laying back down and drifting off again.
I wake in the night to another incoming call.  I look to my phone and rub my eyes—same kind of thing but a different number.  I debate on turning it off but it's my alarm clock.  I listen to the voicemail and it's him again with a different number.  I sigh and drag myself out of bed.  I knock on Jai's closed door.  I hear a shifting, that I've woken him.  I knock again. 
"Just a minute, love," he says.  It sounds like he's fumbling around, possibly dressing... "What's the matter?" he asks as he opens the door.
"Spencer keeps changing his number and calling me.  I've let it go to voicemail and block it but he calls from a different number.  Would you wake me in the morning so I can turn it off?" I ask. 
He looks at the calls and he sees the first one was right before bed.  "Yeah, I can wake you," he says reaching out for me. 
My phone starts to buzz again... same kind of thing. 
"Why don't we get you a new one when we get back?" he suggests.  "Or at least change your number and let everyone you're close to know."
"I think you're right.  He's just going to keep calling unless I cut him off completely," I agree. 
He reaches out for me and kisses me.  I feel a pull towards his room and I stop him. 
"Goodnight, Jai," I say kissing his cheek. 
He sighs shakily, "Goodnight, love."
I walk away but I feel like this is all a plot... like the Devil is messing with Spencer to push Jai and me into these kinds of situations.  It's definitely a temptation for him.  Maybe next time we should get a hotel room.  At my parents house, it shouldn't be an issue since everyone is home at night but the solitude is different and I don't want him to struggle with this. 
I turn off my phone and pack it into my carryon with my cord.  I climb back into bed and turn the light off.  I nod off quickly—exhausted from the day.