Chapter 68-Meg

Meg

Jai and I ride in the back of a limo to the awards show. He told me he's not nominated or anything. Some of his friends are and this is actually the first time he's been invited. He said he puts his name in for consideration every year and they draw from a hat. He got two tickets, so we'll be seated with the crowd but he says it's a tremendous privilege to get them. He wasn't expecting to get the seats, it was just a surprise.
This is my first event with him like this and I'm a bit nervous.  This sounds way bigger than the screening. I wiggle my ring a little and he notices, grasping my hand.
"She'll be right," he encourages softly.
I look over to see him in what he calls his dinner suit. It's a tuxedo and it's very finely made. It's probably the nicest thing I've ever seen him in.
"Here we are. Just smile and be yourself, love," he tells me as we pull up to the venue. 
He opens the door and the carpet actually is red. I scoot over to his side of the limo and he takes my hand in his assisting me out. I can hear people shouting for him. I smile at how enthusiastic his fans are. I see several people with microphones and film camera crews. I notice lights flashing from photographic cameras as well. Someone starts taking pictures of the two of us. I smile at them. We kind of pause and walk, pause and walk. Someone comes over and interviews Jai. He talks a bit about how he's happy to be here, to receive an invitation. I just smile and stay at his side. Someone calls out to him and he excuses himself from beside me for a moment. I wait around nervously for his return.
"Who are you here with?" a man asks me. 
I turn around and look down.  I kind of tower over him the way his ex wife did, although I think I'm taller than her, especially in heels. 
"Um... I'm with Jai," I tell him since they know each other. 
"Really?" he questions grasping my hand to examine the ring.  "Engaged?"
"We are," I nod. 
"Congratulations," he grins. 
"Thank you," I reply but he still holds my hand. 
"It was nice to meet you Miss...?" he questions. 
"Megan," I smile. 
"It was nice to meet you, Megan," he tells me. 
I repeat the sentiment and he moves on.  I feel kind of lost without Jai, so I take a step over to the side, getting out of someone else's way who's passing through.
"You're here with Jai Courtney?" a woman asks behind the guard rail that the fans are standing at. She has a microphone and a camera there, though.
"I am," I smile.
"Are you his girlfriend?" she asks.
"I am," I nod.
"How long have you two been together?" she asks.
"We met in January," I tell her.
"So... a couple months," she grins.
I nod and smile.
"So, what's he like?" she asks.
I tell her all about Jai, how sweet and caring his is. How he's funny and amazing to be around. How we have so much in common.
"What do you do?" she asks.
"Well, I'm an artist. I just had my first show in Chicago. I'm working on my next currently. I just sang the other day at a For King & Country concert near my hometown. They asked me if I'd sing here in Anaheim, too," I tell her.
"Really? A singer?" she questions. "Can we hear you sing?"
"Sure," I nod. "Do you have some water... tepid preferably."
"We do," she nods and a member of her crew hands me a new bottle of water. I take a couple sips debating on what to sing for her since this is not a Christian crowd. Part of Holy and Anointed One comes to mind so I'll sing that.
"You ready?" I ask. They nod.

"Your name is like honey on my lips.
Your Spirit like water to my soul.
Your Word is a lamp unto my feet.
Jesus, I love you, I love you."

When I stop, I realize I have the attention of so many people in the area.
"That was amazing... vey poetic," the woman interviewing me says.
"Thank you," I reply smiling.
"Are you a Christian singer?" she asks quietly.
I nod. "I'll be in Anaheim on Thursday if you'd like to hear more."
She smiles at me and nods.
"Is that my beautiful fiancée I heard singing?" Jai asks coming up behind me. He wraps his arms around me.
"Fiancée?" the woman questions excitedly.
Jai nods and shows off my ring.
"That's incredible. Congratulations!" she says.
"Thank you," he replies.
"When's the big day?" she asks.
He talks to her a bit, telling her some of the details. She asks him several questions and she's ecstatic about the interview. Jai excuses us and we move on.
We get several more pictures taken.  Some ask about my singing.  I tell them about the concert.  I get complimented about my dress and I thank them smiling. 
"Who's your designer?" another woman asks. 
"Would you believe she made this herself?" Jai answers for me. 
"Really?  So, singing and fashion design?" she questions. 
"She's also an artist," Jai continues.  "She sold three drawings of me for $200,000."
"Wow, you've got some impressive skills," she says in awe.  "Are you doing another art show soon?"
"I will.  It'll be in Chicago," I tell her.  I give her the gallery name and my name, but I tell her my last name will be Courtney by the time of the next showing. 
She laughs in surprise and notices my ring.  All of the sudden, we're the talk of the town. Everyone is gathering around us, asking questions, taking pictures...  Jai was right.  I feel like everyone is focusing on us and I'm kind of in shock. 
A man comes up and interviews me, asking my hereditary—if I'm of Latino descent.  "I'm kind of a melting pot," I admit laughing lightly.  "On my father's side, I've got Irish and Native American descent among others.  On my mother's I've got half German, half Russian-Jewish heritage," I explain. 
"So, you're a quarter Jew?" he confirms. 
"No, half," I clarify. 
"Once they hear about this, you're going to go far," he whispers to me out of range of the mic.  "It was lovely to meet you Miss Wright, the future Mrs Courtney," he says shaking my hand and speaking into the microphone. 
I reply the same sentiment. 
Jai is all smiles.  He introduces me to some of his friends.  I shake all of their hands and we pose for pictures with many of them. 
"I have heard so many compliments about your dress, love," Jai whispers to me. 
I smile at that.