Chapter 85-Meg

Meg

Pauline and I arrive at the top floor once more—the Executive Level, E.  She has me fill out a few papers in a conference room and when I finish, we go back to the same office as earlier but another woman is in there besides Reuben. 
"This is Amelia Abrams, CEO of CMG," Pauline introduces. I remember that's Capitol Music Group, aka Capitol Records—my new employer. 
"It's nice to meet you, ma'am ," I say shaking her hand and grinning.
She smiles at me—returning the sentiment—and we take a seat on the furniture once more. She speaks about her vision for the future of the company—me learning in the process that she's newer to the position but she's been with the company for almost a decade. She asks me what I'd like to accomplish while I'm here.
"Well..." I start out. "I guess the contract offer yesterday was kind of a surprise to me.  I was asked to sing, so I did. I believe I'm skilled at improvisation. My voice has strengthened substantially over the years along with my instrumental repertoire. I'm planning on continuing to grow my abilities since I think I should never stop learning and looking to improve.  Since I am a Christian, I would prefer to remain in that sort of genre but I'm open for anything within reason."
She smiles at me and looks to Pauline and Reuben.
"I'm glad you're open for new ideas.  We've looked into your recent interviews and background information finding out about your Chicago art gallery exhibition.  We've heard about your skill with fashion and design.  And now, we've been recommended by a few various influential figures in our company that you're quite skilled with music.  The three of us viewed your performance last night and we're all in agreement.  We feel here at Capitol that you have incredible skill in several fields alone... as well as your current relationship which I should add to your list of assets," she explains and I'm confused.  I honestly don't think marrying Jai has anything to do with it.  But I guess to them, it may.  "You are the current buzz going on in the city and we would like to monopolize on that as quickly as possible," she explains and I nod in understanding. 
I feel kind of uncomfortable at what's being said but I also feel like God wants me here, to hear her out.  I know from what Pauline was saying earlier, that this is a business and they're looking for profit.  It's not what I've expected for my life but it is a gift from God in a sense and I should be appreciative. 
"I'm assuming you're familiar with Lauren Daigle?" Amelia asks. 
"I am," I nod... and I kind of see where she's going before she even voices it.  Jai's influential on one end of the spectrum and I can handle the other. 
"She is ascendant between two different genres.  We would honestly like you to go across various boarders to reach larger audiences," she tells me.  "What do you think of that?"
I feel like God is saying reaching a broader congregation is a good thing.  I have strong convictions and I won't falter with His strength.  I'm also not one to insult or fall into snares, although I put my trust in Him in all situations.  If I would be questioned in an interview, per se, I would rely on God to give the words and to show the world his love in action.  This fame already hasn't moved me. 
"I would be happy to follow your wishes as long as they line up with my beliefs," I tell her. 
"What concerns do you have?" she asks. 
"I dress conservatively.  I'm not planning on changing that," I explain honestly.
"I think your style will set a new trend of modesty," she replies and I smile at that and thank her for her kind words.  "What other reservations do you have?"
"I think I'd like to only sing about Godly things.  I don't have to use the name Jesus in everything, but my life is heavily influenced by scripture," I tell her glancing at Rueben and he smiles. 
"What song was it Rueben?" she asks him.  "To everything there is a season?"
"Turn! Turn! Turn! by the Byrds," he replies softly. 
"That's Ecclesiastes," I nod.  "The words of King Solomon."
"It is," he smiles at me.  "Did you learn that from your grandmother?"
"No," I shake my head.  "I read my Bible every day."
"You do?" he laughs disbelievingly. 
"I take Joshua seriously when he says: 'Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.'" I reply. 
"Which Joshua is this?" he asks. 
"Moses's successor," I reply kind of surprised that he doesn't know but I reign in my confusion as not to offend. 
"Oh, that Joshua," he nods. 
"Not Jesus," I shake my head grinning.  Both are Yeshua in Hebrew. 
He smiles. 
"We're alright with that.  You can use your influences," Amelia nods smiling.  "Do you have any other concerns or reservations?"
I think for a moment and I'm reminded of my previous marital counseling.  "I'd prefer not to be put in a room with only one male.  I've taken marriage counseling and I agree with my pastor that that's something married people ought not do," I say. 
"Have you been married before?" Pauline asks confused. 
"No, but I've been engaged before Jai.  My ex-fiancé did not follow that advice, hence our breakup," I explain. 
"I think that's reasonable," Amelia nods.  "We'll always work her with at least two people, and attempt to put a female in the mix."
I smile at my request being so easily agreed upon.  We speak a bit more and I try to be easygoing for them, not really requesting anything else but being pleasant, simple, and respectful, listening carefully to what they discuss with me.  They recommend that I at least record a single or an EP before I leave town and we'll hopefully add them to an entire album I'll create when I'm scheduled to return from my honeymoon.  Amelia informs me that I have permission to use I Belong To You on my album, that we'll pay a small fee for royalties to the songwriters and previous band.  I smile that they'll get a percentage of the sales.  We conclude the meeting and Pauline walks me out.