Chapter 47-Jai

Jai

'So... what's the plan tonight?' I text Johnno and Damo.
I wait for a response. 

'What about taking the ladies shopping?' Johnno comments. 

'I'm bringing Bran,' Damo texts. 

'Couldn't get a date?' I joke.  'What about all of those sheilas you brought to the barbie?'

'Haha, B******!  I'm just bringing my mate.  What's wrong with that?' Damo replies. 

'It kind of throws off the whole triple date,' Johnno responds.  'Plus, he clearly has the hots for Meg.'

'No, he doesn't,' Damo defends.  'He just wants to hang around town with us.'

'More like hang around Jai,' Johnno teases. 

'C***!' Damo texts. 

I sigh at their bickering. 
'So... what's the plan?  We're up for anything,' I write. 

'Why don't we go to The Cross?' Damo suggests. 

'Um... how about no?' Johnno replies quickly.  'You don't take ladies to that s*** hole.  Are you crazy?'

'Just about anything, not that,' I confirm. 

'It was just a thought,' Damo defends. 

'We could take the ladies shopping at Pitt St Mall,' Johnno suggests. 

'I'm no sheila.  We're not going shopping,' Damo whinges. 

I sigh again.
'Okay.  How about any of these?

1) Tea and hang around Luna Park
2) Tea, Pubs, and nightclubs at Darling Harbor
3) Tea, Putt-Putt Golf, and hang around the CBD

Take your pick,' I list off a clean set of options. 

'Any of those sound good.  Maybe you should plan out my dates,' Johnno jokes. 

'I vote pub... but I don't see why we can't go to The Cross.  It has all that,' Damo says. 

'Strip clubbing and prostitutes are not where you take ladies on a date.  It's no wonder why you're single,' Johnno responds. 

I give his comment a thumbs up. 

'C****, the lot of you!' Damo replies. 

'But it's true.  He's right.  You don't take a lady to the red light district.  If you've ever done that, I guarantee you didn't get a second date.  You probably got your number blocked, too,' I point out. 

'Whatever.  I vote Darling Harbor, then,' Damo says. 

'That's fine with me,' Johnno agrees. 

'Alright.  I'll make a booking and send you all the info since you're all so indecisive,' I reply.

I get two thumbs up and I guess they can't make choices.  From now on, I'll just list out options.  I also definitely see why Damo doesn't have a date.  I guarantee I just gave him advice to get a second date—that's probably why he's still single.  He's from a split family and most likely doesn't know any better. 
I look for a restaurant in the area and set up the plans, then I decide where we'll go.  It's an Indian restaurant that I've had before.  The food is pretty good.  I figure we can walk around the rest of the time and I'll have a cab pick us up so Meg doesn't have to worry about the drive.  I'm planning on having a beer or two but defo no more.  I hope Damo and especially Bran don't get pissed.  I think if they do, we might have to ditch them. 
Megan and I dress for a night out but I warn her we'll be walking a bit.  I put on a simple button down light blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up part way along with dark grey daks and black blunnies.  I don't know how she does it but she always wears the best outfits.  For a girl that doesn't like to shop, she really does dress well.  She's got on a turquoise blouse that looks to be made of silk or another fine fabric with a medium-sized loose bow tied just under the collar.  She's got a black three-quarter cardigan jumper on and black fitted daks.  She's wearing her black flats with the strap across the front.  She could probably get into a higher end restaurant in that and any other place as well.  I see she's taking her camera and tripod, too—only one small bag, though, not everything. 
"I called a cabbie," I tell her. 
"So, we're just waiting?" she asks. 
I nod.  She leans forward and kisses my lips gently.  I realize she's got lipstick on but it's the kind that doesn't wear off... unless I pash her.  She turns and walks to the lounge.  I notice her hair is half down with several braids in the back.  I'm always surprised at the intricacy of her hairstyles yet how classy they look.  I've seen her do things like that in a matter of minutes.  She sits and I join her side.  I run my fingers over the braids and she looks to me grinning. 
"Is that okay?" she asks me. 
"Yeah, I like it," I tell her leaning in for another kiss. 
I hear the blare of a car horn and I sigh.  We get up and descend the stairs exiting the front door.  I lock up and open the door for her.  I climb in the back and give the location to the cabbie. 
We arrive fairly quickly and it would appear we're the first here.  We wait outside for the rest of our group.  Johnno and Dar arrive next. 
"Hey, how are you?" he asks me hugging me and patting my back. 
I ask him the same.  I see the ladies pairing up and we switch.  Damo arrives a few minutes later and we all greet him consecutively. 
"So, Damo?" Johnno grins. "Where's your date?"
I try not to laugh but fail miserably.
"He's on his way and he's not my date. I just invited a mate," he insists.
We all chuckle at that but Megan looks confused.
"He invited Bran," I whisper to her.
"Oh," she replies.
Bran arrives a moment later and Johnno and I share a look as he climbs out of the cab from the backseat—a total faux pas in 'Straya when one is by themselves.
"Is he up himself or something?" Johnno whispers to me. I shrug in surprise.
We all greet him nonetheless and enter the restaurant. We get seated at our table straight away. I'm glad Damo sat beside Meg and not Bran, although I thought he'd let Dar sit there. At the next place, I'll recommend they sit together. I've already got a few things in mind to order for the two of us but Bran suggests that we order from the banquet menu—which means I'm paying. I agree when Dar says that sounds like a better variety than the individual meals.
"Are you sure?" Megan whispers to me.
I know she can read my irritation from Bran compared to even my closest mates but I tell her it's fine. We'd usually separate the bill three, or I guess in this instance four ways. But I'll handle it. I'm the only one with the funds that this won't matter. I'm glad I didn't choose a pricer place but I see Bran and Damo eyeing the drink menu. I don't even pay attention at that point and just enjoy the night with my girl and mates.
We get an interesting variety of items in the first course and Meg smiles at me when she sees the samosas on the table. I think she likes my choice of restaurant. The conversation is good for a while and I'm glad Johnno is here. He's helping me level out the two larrikins. They're both making some crude jokes or asking Megan twenty questions about America. Dar is even jumping in and helping her out.
"So, Meg?  Do you have any American mates you could introduce me to?" Damo asks and I try to hold back my guffaw at that. 
"Um..." Megan chuckles lightly and glances to me.  "That depends on what kind of girl you're looking for."
"Oh, yeah?  What what kind do you have in mind?" he questions intrigued. 
"Are you looking for a nice Christian girl or the opposite?" she inquires seriously. 
"I don't know the difference," he shrugs. 
"Well, the Christian ones will want you to go to church and the others I know..." she starts, biting her lip.  "The others would probably only be interested in hanging out with me to get to know Jai.  Otherwise, I'm the butt of their jokes."
"Sounds like those ones would be perfect for Bran," Johnno teases and I laugh at that. 
But I look to Megan and she was serious that those ones picked on her.  I rub her back in comfort.  Bran looks irritated but we all know why he's here—or at least Johnno and I do. 
"What's wrong with the latter?" Dar asks concerned.
"We were friends in high school. I went to college, they didn't. I guess we kind of grew apart. Our interests are like polar opposites," she explains.
"So, what about the other ones?" Bran asks more curiously.
"They're all nice girls," Megan smiles. "Although, many of them are close in age to me. There's a few older single ladies but like I said before, if you'd want a chance you'd have to go to church."
"She means they'll put Jesus before you," I attempt to clarify. "Oh, and no sex before marriage, so probably not for you two. Those are the type looking for a commitment."
"Are all Americans like that?" Bran asks confused.
"I thought we were just speaking in terms of my acquaintances," Meg states. "I think you're expecting me to know every female in the entire continental US and that's just not the case. You're making generalities and assumptions." She says it politely but she's obviously confused at his manner of speaking... but she is right.
"She is a college girl," Damo nudges Bran. "Defo too smart for you."
"Also, I wouldn't recommend the non-Christians in my area. Herpes and genital warts are common in my hometown for the looser type.  I think syphilis is on the rise, too," Megan says matter of factly before taking a bite.
Everyone at the table just stares at that.
"What?" she asks when it's quiet for a minute.
"Why's your area so dirty?" Bran asks.
"I would think STDs are a risk for anyone who goes outside of the marriage covenant. You never know who else your partner has been with," she shrugs.
"Yeah, you two. Perhaps you ought to stay out of The Cross," Johnno agrees.
Dar coughs on a bite of food.
"What's that?" Megan asks confused.
Johnno explains it as he pats Dar's back and then proceeds to tell her that's where Damo wanted to go tonight.
"You've got to be joking," she insists in reply.
Damo just shrugs.  She stays pretty quiet after that.  I don't blame her.  I couldn't believe he'd suggest that.  He must've been lonely, either that or Bran has been a really bad influence on him lately when I'm out of town. 
"So..." Dar says to break the ice.  "There's a comedy club in the area.  I saw there's a show tonight."
"I should've included you in the planning," I say to her grinning. 
"Yeah, defo if that's what Damo was saying," she mumbles quietly.