Chapter 42-Jai

Jai

Ollie leaves with Megan and I'm grateful that he got the hint from me, or maybe he just saw her behavior and understood that I need a few minutes to speak with her.  As soon as Meg and Ollie are out of earshot, I turn to my sister. 
"What's wrong?" I ask her. 
"Are you serious about that little girl?" she asks me. 
"I'm very serious about her," I admit. 
"Are you going through some early mid-life crisis or something that you're with a sheila half your age?" she questions.
I purse my lips and turn away. 
"So, it's her age that you don't approve of?" I question for clarification. 
"There's heaps of things," she says matter-of-factly. 
"Alright," I agree to hear her out.  "Spill it."
"She's too young.  She's probably using you for your money.  She's some weird religious nut—I hear from Mum—who's pulling you in.  She dresses oddly.  Her accent is weird.  She seems like she's up herself.  And she's letting you pay for everything," she lists off. 
"Anything else?" I ask. 
"That's enough to get you started," she shrugs. 
I sigh irritatedly.  I wish I would've come see her myself then she wouldn't have made Megan uncomfortable. 
"Alright, so her age...  Yes, she's younger than me.  It doesn't bother either of us.  She's legal so why should it matter?  Her parents like me.  They're twelve years apart.  We're thirteen, so no biggie," I begin. 
"Wait... her parents are that different in age?" she asks confused. 
"Her dad is older than Dad.  Her mum is younger than Mum.  I don't see what the problem is.  It's a few years for both of them and I've never seen anyone so in love before like her parents," I tell her. 
She looks surprised, staying quiet. 
"You think she's using me for my money?  She's not.  Everyone else I dated that you liked was.  She even rejected me at first, so that's not it.  Plus, she's very successful.  She's an artist—just had her first show.  She made more in one night selling art than I made in years of modeling and she didn't have to take her duds off to do it.  She's not in it for the money.  She doesn't even care about money.  She used to make so little that she could've been on welfare in America but she didn't take it.  She also sold all that work and has only bought two things I've seen.  You'll be surprised.  She bought food for the homeless and let me give it to them.  Then she bought concert tickets for a group of teens.  We're taking them when we return after Easter," I tell her. 
"What?" she asks confused. 
"Should I keep going?" I ask. 
"I... I don't believe this," she shakes her head. 
"She's different from anyone I've ever known," I tell her and pause.  "Her religion, is now my religion.  She refused to be with me at first.  I offered to convert, to join the club.  She told me no.  She didn't want me to fake it.  So, I came home and spoke to a pastor.  I did some reading and asked him some questions.  And the truth is, I believe it's real.  I wasn't duped into anything and I'm not faking it.  I really believe what she does.  She's the kindest, most selfless person I've ever met and the most humble, too, so she is definitely not up herself.  About her clothes, she dresses conservatively.  It's what she's comfortable in so I'm fine with it.  She doesn't want to wear revealing clothes because she believes only her spouse should see everything.  I'm okay with that.  Her accent—she's American, not Australian so her accent is different.  But she's easy to understand and she always tries to be kind and respectful.  And about me paying for everything, I insist and she doesn't want to pick a fight because she thinks it's rude," I explain. 
I look to her and she's being quiet, not meeting my eyes. 
"I'm in love with her... and I've never been in love before," I tell her. 
"You've always been the kind to take your duds off and run around in the nuddy for fun.  Now you're going to church and dating the conservative girl.  This is not you," she insists shaking her head. 
"This is me now," I shrug.  "I've never been happier.  I'm going to marry her if she'll have me."
"Why?" she asks.  "You barely know her."
"But that's not true.  I know everything about her and I like what I see.  I've never had anything so real and genuine.  She tells me every thought she has and explains it in a way that's so deep and meaningful.  She never offends and if she does unintentionally she apologizes," I tell her. 
"She's really like that?" she asks. 
I nod. 
"Are you sure she's not trying to pull the wool over your eyes?" she questions skeptically. 
"How about this?  I bet she asked Ollie what I'd want from wherever they go.  I will purposely take whatever she ordered for herself.  Just see how she handles it.  If she's straightforward that it's hers, fine.  If she whinges, fine.  But I absolutely have an idea of what she'll do and it'll surprise you," I tell her.
"I'm not easily surprised," she says. 
I see Megan come back and I smile at her. I thank her for going out and I take my card back from her. I see the one I'd probably order and then one with strawberries. I know she likes strawberries but I ask for it anyway. She smiles at me and surrenders it. I kiss her and she smiles wider before trying hers—which is mine. She compliments Ollie on his choice and he looks happy, nudging Em like he knew what we were talking about.
I offer her some of mine and she kind of shrugs it off. I offer her a bite again anyway and she thanks me for it but doesn't ask for more.
I look to Em and she does seem surprised, like what I told her was real and not a facade.
After that, Em actually makes an effort to talk to her and be nice to her. I can see it on Megan's face that she's happy to talk with her, that the previous behavior is forgotten.
We go back out and swim some more. At one point, I see Em and Meg together laughing and joking around. I'm glad I spoke with her. Ollie even mentions it to me.
"Yeah," I agree. "It's nice to see them getting on. I was worried there for a moment."