Chapter 11-Jai

Jai

Meg and I change into more casual duds after church and go out for tucker. We walk around to see what looks good and enter into a Brazilian barbecue restaurant.
"I've never had this before," she tells me but she looks excited.
"You'll like it. You like meats cooked on the barbie, right?" I ask.
She grins and nods leaning up to kiss me. We get seated and we share a meal.  I can't help but keep my eyes on her, how gorgeous she is—inside and out.  I think on how much my life has changed with her in it, that it feels like she completes me.  I can't help but think of that Jerry Maguire film, but it does kind of feel like that.  And then I think of him and wonder what's going on with him. 
"Something wrong?"  Megan asks as we hold hands stepping out of the restaurant. 
I explain what's on my mind.  "We can pray for him if you want," she offers.  "Now or later.  It's up to you."
"Later but I don't want to forget," I say. 
"I won't forget," she replies.  "So what's next?"
"I was thinking of going to either the planetarium, aquarium, or field museum," I tell her. 
She smiles in response.  "We could do all of them this week if you want.  What are the hours?" she asks. 
We step aside on the footpath and look up the times.  "Wednesday is the latest for the planetarium but it closes earliest today—same times the rest of the week," she comments. 
"You want to go there today?" I ask. 
"We could," she nods. 
I wave down a cabbie and we're off.  We arrive at the planetarium and it's pretty impressive from the outside. I decide to take a selfie with Meg outside to get the entire city in the background. I hold my phone up and she helps me set up the frame. She smiles in this one and then looks back at me. She kisses me as I take another and I realize that this is our first documented kiss. I look to the picture and I've just got to change my background.
"That's my favorite," I tell her.
She smiles in response and reaches out for my hand. We enter and I pay for our admission. We look around and explore. It's typical of an educational attraction park but it's still fascinating and beautiful. There are parts with unique architecture and lighting that I enjoy the best. We make our way inside the planetarium for the pictures and Megan holds my hand. As the film starts, she leans over and whispers to me. "This is making me want to do some night photography," she tells me softly almost touching my ear. I turn to her and kiss her gently. She smiles in response and leans back in her seat. The colors and sights are incredible, the effects spectacular. I feel pulled in and I'm in awe of the beauty. As we watch the film, I'm reminded of looking up at the stars in 'Straya. I recall how I didn't think I mattered in the grand scheme of things... but I do. I can feel it, feel the confirmation from God. I enjoy the film on our solar system and how vast and incredible it is. I feel a greater connection, that the God who made all of this actually cares about everything to do with me.
We leave the pictures and I'm reeling from the experience. I can see it on her face, too. We spend a bit more time exploring but nothing was as intriguing as that film.
We decide to head back to the hotel and change for tea. I made a booking for us. I put my same dinner suit as earlier back on and Megan steps into my room in a unique dress I've never seen before. I stop what I'm doing and stare at her. It's kind of like the black one she picked up at the department store, except it's modest and the slit isn't nearly as high. The capped sleeves are reminiscent of something you'd see on a Star Trek picture but not overdone, like a hint of a flare out.
"Do you need some help with that?" she asks motioning to my tie. She doesn't wait for me to answer and she ties it herself.
"Where'd you get the dress?" I ask her as she ties my tie.
"I made this one," she grins as she focuses on the knot.
She finishes and smooths her hand over my chest. I can't help but pash her. She laughs into the kiss but responds. I love the feeling of her sensual lips on mine. I deepen it further and crave more of her. I feel a reminder from God to show restraint and I gently end the kiss. I've got to remember that... what her parents said, what Noah and the other bloke said. I think about what my mum told me I could have—that family heirloom—and I wonder if she really is the one. I feel a caress but not from her and I understand completely. I meet her eyes with mine and I kiss her gently once more. She smiles at me.
"Are you ready?" I ask.
"I think I need a better lip product," she laughs. She wipes her lip a little then mine. I laugh in surprise realizing I've made a mess. We both freshen up and she reapplies her gloss before we head out.
It's windier and colder than earlier but it's still early. The sun hasn't set quite yet. I hail a cabbie and tell him where we're going. Megan removes her scarf from her hair and when she's settled, I reach for her hand.
"What kind of restaurant is this one?" she asks me scooting closer.
"Cold?" I inquire and she nods.
I put my arm around her and help to warm her up, rubbing her arm. "It's a steakhouse. There's seafood, too. There's one in LA that I like," I tell her.
"Oh, so you already know what you want?" she asks grinning.
"I'm debating between a few things," I nod. "Do you want me to order for you?" I offer.
"Sure," she beams. "Surprise me."
I kiss her cheek gently. "How about I take you shopping sometime this week?" I suggest. "We can get you some more makeup and whatever else you want."
"Alright," she gives me a small smile but she looks touched.
We arrive to the restaurant and I get out first, assisting her. She doesn't look so stable on this uneven footpath in those same heels again. I wrap my arm around her and hold her hand as we stride toward the entrance. 
"Thank you," she says appreciatively.
"No worries, love," I reply.
We walk in and are seated straight away. "Is this a private room?" she whispers to me.
"I'd like few interruption tonight," I tell her gently. She turns her head and smiles up at me but I realize in the heels she's close in height to me.
We're seated and given the menu. I order for the both of us and get her a sparkling beverage, a beer for me and I realize I don't know if I should've done that. As the waiter leaves I reach out for her hand.
"You don't mind, do you?" I ask her.
She looks up at me confused so I explain.
"Are you having several?" she asks.
"Probably just the one," I admit.
"Then I don't see a problem," she replies. "Jesus turned barrels of water into wine at a wedding after they already ran out because of the excess of the celebration. I think general and occasional drinking is acceptable. Constant and overuse for frequent drunkenness is not good but that's different. There's deliberations about whether what Jesus made was fresh grape juice or aged wine but I don't think it matters. It was celebratory. So let's celebrate."
"So you're saying you think an occasional drink now and then is acceptable. Public drunkenness is not," I say for clarity.
She nods, "That's exactly what I believe. There are other Christians who would disagree. But I think as long as say... you don't invite someone who is a recovering alcoholic over and drink in front of them or offer them something. That would be a stumbling block for them. Beyond that it's fine."
"Why don't you drink then?" I ask.
"Because I don't like the taste," she shrugs.
"Really?" I question surprised. "I wasn't expecting that."
She shrugs again. "The beers in Japan weren't bad. There were dinner parties where they just put the glass in front of me and it's considered rude not to accept it. I just sipped it politely but didn't have much. They continually topped my glass off, though," she explains laughing lightly at the last bit.
My beer is placed before me and hers in front of her. "What did you order me?" she asks curiously.
"It's non-alcoholic, like a sparkling juice," I tell her.
I watch her sip it. "I like this," she tells me.
I grin at her as I sip my beer. She reaches out for my glass and I surrender it to her. She takes a small sip. "It's not bad," she shrugs as she wipes her lip print off the glass. She returns it to me. "I'd probably never order it but it's alright."
I smile at her as I realize she's eliminating my apprehension to kiss her after I've had a drink. I reach out for her hand once more as we engage in pleasant conversation.
Our meal arrives and she tries hers. She tells me I have good taste. We enjoy our tea together, laughing and smiling. I sigh in contentment at her company. All of my birthdays have been different, but somehow this one feels more meaningful. We finish our food and are offered dessert but I decline it. As the waiter steps away, she leans in.
"You're not going to tell them it's your birthday?" she asks me.
"Nah, not my style. I don't want a bunch of strangers singing to me," I admit.
She gives me a knowing smile and tells me that's her thoughts on it, too.
I handle the bill and we're off. I hail another cabbie as we step out but I do notice several people taking our picture as we exit and climb inside the cab. I give him direction to our hotel and we're inside in a flash.
"Don't change yet," she insists as we step into my room. "Give me a minute and come to my room when I call you."
"Alright," I laugh at her craftiness and wonder what she's up to. I wait around in my room for a minute and then I hear her call my name. I step into her room and the lights are turned off. I see her with her lappy on the coffee table and she's seated on the lounge. She has a cupcake with a candle in it. I notice my mum, dad, and sister are on the screen and they start singing to me. I'm touched, this reminding me of my childhood. I step over and sit with her so they can see me. They finish the song and I blow out the candle. Megan gives me my cupcake as she flips the light back on. I wave and talk to my rellies. They wish me a happy birthday even though it was yesterday for them. My sister shows me her ring and Ollie leans in and waves. I congratulate them on their engagement and say bye to them because she's on break from work and has to get back. I talk to my folks a little.
"We've got your present waiting for you when you come back," Mum says. "You've already seen the one in my room and I fully intend for you to use it," she says and I laugh at that knowing exactly what she means. "The other's here," she tells me waving a wrapped box. "You better get here fast, though. Your dad saw what I got you and he wants it for himself."
"Very nice duds, indeed," he comments.
"Spoiler alert," Megan laughs. I chuckle, too.
I thank them for everything and we end the connection. "Thank you," I whisper kissing her.
"You're welcome," she smiles back wiping my lip off.
"I'm going to change and we can eat our dessert and do whatever you want next," she says.
I agree and put some trackie daks on and nothing else. I knock on her door and she has on something similar to mine but she's wearing a shirt. She waves me in and places the cupcake in my hand.
"Where'd you get these?" I ask.
"Starbucks this morning before you were up," she tells me taking a bite.
I smile at her craftiness.
"How'd you arrange all of this?" I ask motioning to the black candle and the conference call.
"I went to Hobby Lobby the other day for fixative and saw the candles on my way in. I've answered your phone when your mom called a couple times and I got her number. I suggested this and she made the arrangements on her end with your sister," she explains.
I close my eyes at how perfect she is. She does what she can to make everything special, even if it's small. I reach out for her and hold her. "Thank you. This was nice," I tell her softly.
"You're welcome. So... I was thinking. You said you couldn't dance. Would you like me to teach you?" she offers.
"You can formally dance?" I ask surprised. "Not just ballet?"
"Well, I know some other things but yeah. I learned the waltz and a few more formal dances. I can try to lead and then you can take over," she says.
"How long have you danced?" I ask.
"Artie taught me some swing when I was little but not long for the more formal stuff," she admits. She bites her lip but then releases it as if deciding to tell me something. "Spencer wanted us to dance at the wedding. We took several classes during my last months of school. It was hard to juggle finals and everything but I pulled it off. Anyway... he insisted I learn but I'd rather spend the rest of my life dancing with you."
I meet my eyes with hers and I see that she's serious. "Alright," I agree leaning in to kiss her. She selects some classical music on her phone and sets it down, rising and taking my hand.
We walk over to the empty space between her lounge room and bed. She takes my hand and places it on her shoulder. She holds her other clasped with mine. She steps forward and I back up. We keep moving and I start to get the movement down. She's so patient and skilled at explaining it to me. I rarely step on her and she's so light on her feet that she moves in time. We switch once I feel more comfortable and I'm leading her in no time. I feel graceful and in control with her, not struggling at all with the movements now. I feel like all of my toiling has been melting away with her. She fills the gap within my life.