Chapter 77-Meg

Meg

I draw a bit more in my sketchbook and I'm definitely getting the hang of this. It's turning out really well.
"That's interesting," Jai comments.  He's standing above me looking down.
"Thanks. It's my first attempt at Cubism," I reply grinning. "All done?" I ask.
He hums a reply.
I close up my sketchbook and grab my things before we walk to his car from the studio.
"What do you want to do tonight?" I ask him.
"We could cook?" he shrugs. "Or go out."
"I vote cook," I smile.
"I'll order some groceries," he says looking on his phone.
We pick out some things for dinner and the rest of the week.  He has them delivered.
"They should arrive just after we do," he tells me.
"Don't you ever go to the store?" I ask him surprised.
"Nah, it's easier this way," he replies.
He drives us back and it takes a little longer than he expected due to traffic.  The groceries haven't arrived yet so we go inside.  He helps me carry my things.  I sit down on his leather couch and he joins me.  I set my drawing supplies and purse aside on the floor nearby.  The moment I turn towards him he's kissing me.  I laugh in surprise but kiss him back.  His kisses get more passionate, more desperate.  He slowly lays me down on the sofa.
"Jai?" I say to him. 
"Hmm?" he questions as he kisses my neck. 
"I think we should stop," I tell him with my voice wavering. 
The doorbell rings and he sighs.  He kisses me once more before getting up and answering the door.  I sit up and straighten my shirt.  He grabs a couple bags and closes the door.  I rise and walk to the kitchen with him.  He sets the bags on his countertop and I start taking the refrigerated items out and setting them on the counter.  He starts kissing my neck again and wrapping his arms around me. 
"Are you not hungry?" I tease. 
He sighs and holds onto me tightly. "Twenty-five days," he mumbles nudging me affectionately.
I smile. "Do you want to change it?" I ask him.
"No," he replies. "It just kind of feels like an eternity."
"It does, doesn't it?" I agree. "It was the soonest time available for the hotel, right? And it'll probably be best for me to get a full month in on the pill."
He hums a reply but kisses my shoulder.
I place everything from the bags onto the counter and start to put away some of the food into the fridge. I notice he's got mostly condiments in his fridge and little food.
"Have you ever seen Fight Club?" I laugh.
"Are you cracking jokes about my fridge?" he teases. "That doesn't sound like your kind of film, though," he adds.
"Artie was a bad influence growing up. I honestly have no idea where he got all the things he showed me as a kid," I tell him.
"Naked push-ups," he laughs. "He shows you a film like that and thought you'd believe that lie."
"Yeah. He was kind of ridiculous as a kid," I nod. "He's always been book smart but not the best at relating to others."
I put more food away and notice he's putting things into his pantry.
"What did you want tonight?" I ask.
"Steak," he shrugs.
"How do you want the potatoes?" I question.
"What options do I get?" he grins.
"Baked, roasted, mashed, boiled...?" I list off.
"I don't know. Those all sound good. You pick," he insists.
"How about baked potatoes? It's a little early so we should have time," I say walking over to his oven. I look it over and figure out how to turn it on. I set the temperature.
"Have you ever heard of Mitch Hedberg?" I inquire as I grab several potatoes and wash them in the sink.
"No," he shakes his head.
"He was a stand up comedian. He made a joke about baked potatoes—how they take so long to cook, that if you're not hungry you could stick a potato in the oven and by the time it's done you will be," I tell him grinning.
He laughs lightly at that. "Maybe we should see him sometime," he comments.
"We could probably watch his routines on YouTube," I tell him drying my hands. "But he died years ago. I think he overdosed on drugs."
"That's terrible," he frowns.
"Yeah," I agree.
I search for a cookie sheet. I look through his drawers and get out some foil.
"Do you want them wrapped and steamed... or oil and salt on the skin?" I question.
"So many choices," he teases as he comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my midsection. "Whatever you want, love," he whispers as he kisses my shoulder.
I decide to put oil on them. I search his cupboards for oil and salt. I find a sea salt grinder and I take that, then some olive oil. I wrap the foil on top of the cookie sheet. Then, I cover them in oil and wash my hands before I sprinkle them with the salt. The oven chimes, letting me know it's up to temperature and I stick them in for an hour.
We decide to sit down and lounge around on his couch. He turns on the tv and we watch his routine on YouTube for a while. I slip off my shoes and lean up against him. I feel him reach out for my hand and intertwine our fingers.
"I'm fighting someone again tomorrow," he tells me.
"Alright," I reply.
"Is that bloke at the gym bothering you?" he asks.
"A little bit," I admit nodding. "I don't mind being friendly with people... but I don't think he wants just a friendship by the way he first approached me. I'm honestly not sure, though. He's starting to kind of make me... somewhat uncomfortable. He just showed up next to me—that was kind of weird."
"Do you not want to come tomorrow? Or... I could say something to him if you want," he suggests.
"There's a Y around here, right? I could go there and you could get me afterwards," I suggest.
"We could do that," he agrees. He sighs and kisses my cheek. "I'll miss you, though."
"I could still come," I shrug. "I could ask him what he wants and let him down if he responds more than friendly."
He sighs again, "I'll have to think about that."
We continue to watch the comedian and Jai is laughing at him. He looks to me grinning. I smile back but I hadn't remembered how much foul language he used since it's been years since I've heard these.  Some of the jokes have become like a family staple—something we say regularly and I'm surprised. 
The oven goes off and I check the potatoes, noticing that they need a little more time.  Jai steps outside to start up his grill.  I get a platter out and search for his cooking utensils.  He comes back in and grabs them right away. I hand him the steaks and follow him outside with the platter. He's got a nice area at the back of the house but it's like a raised patio. There's seating here with some green space below that's fenced in with a privacy fence.  He has a few trees back here with shade and a table. I sit down near him and watch him cook. He closes the lid and turns to me. He steps over and hugs me while I'm seated. I sigh and hold onto him. He smells like the grill. I feel a kiss to my head and I smile. I look up at him grinning. He leans down and kisses me. I hear the grill flame up.
"Your steaks might be burning," I tell him.
"Shoot," he says stepping away. He flips them. "Nah, they're good," he replies turning the flames down a little.
He looks to me and smiles. I go inside and check the potatoes. I pull them out and notice they're done. I set them aside and prep a salad for us before we sit down to dinner together at a peninsula in here. It's nice and quiet.  He pulls me closer to him and wraps a possessive arm around me.  I smile and peck his cheek.  He leans in and kisses me gently.  My smile grows.  I sigh happily as I think about our time together—how happy I am since I've come to know him. 
We finish our dinner and I help him clean up the mess—I wash while he dries.  We decide to watch a movie together for the remainder of the evening lounging around on his sofa in each other's arms.  Afterward, he drives me back to the hotel, walking me up to my room.  He holds me tightly and doesn't seem to want to let me go. 
"Have you decided about tomorrow?" I ask him. 
"Maybe you should go elsewhere and see how it goes," he suggests. 
"Alright," I agree. 
"I'll pick you up," he whispers kissing me. 
I kiss him back.  "Okay," I respond.  "Goodnight," I say kissing him once more. 
"Goodnight, love.  I'll see you in the morning," he tells me. 
I say the same.  He watches me walk inside and close the door.  I set my drawing things down and grab my camera and tripod.  I set up it up and change into a plain tank top.  I get out my violin and take some pictures of different poses.  I check the shots and they look good.  I put my camera gear away and get out the sheet music for Thursday.  I practice and think it's been too long since I've done this.  I've missed it.  I feel like I've got it down after a couple tries and I don't make any mistakes after that. 
I put my violin away and get ready for bed.  I pull my phone out of my pocket and I'm about to plug it in but I see a text from Jai. 

I miss you already.

I smile and text him the same.  I recall that we'll be married in less than a month... and that thought doesn't scare me at all.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  I know he's the right man for me—my best friend.  I lay down in the massive hotel bed he got me and think about how we'll be side by side for the rest of our lives in twenty-five days...