Chapter 24 - Revelations

Group Announcements for Women's Football at Paris 2024

Group A

France

Netherlands

Japan

South Africa

Group B

Australia

New Zealand

Spain

Canada

Group C

United States

Brazil

South Korea

Zambia

Group D

Great Britain

Sweden

Thailand

Nigeria

Indi's POV

The Olympics were fast approaching. Paris was fast approaching. We were ready to get another tournament win. We were running on a high after the World Cup. We were one of the best teams in the world. We had jumped in the rankings too, and we were full of confidence, but that also meant that we were the team to beat. We were the team that everyone wanted to win against. So with that calm pressure as well.

"Have you thought about what I said?" Kristie asked me, as I was over at her apartment, before we were all heading to our respective pre-Olympic camps.

"I have," I answered.

"And?"

"And you're right. I know you're right."

"When aren't I right?" Kristie joked.

"Well, there have been a few," I laughed back.

"But in all seriousness?"

"Yeah, I know. It's so hard though Kris. I just want her back."

"I know you do," Kristie responded, "and you will both find each other again. But let yourself be just you for a while. Let yourself be just Indi. I think it'll be worth it." Kristie had been my best friend for many years now, and she honestly knew me better than I knew myself sometimes. Her advice always meant a lot, and I never disregarded it.

Sam soon walked in, after coming back from the shops.

"I got the goods," Sam called out, holding up two bags of groceries.

"Dinner time," Kristie smiled, clapping her hands together before going over to Sam, kissing her softly and taking the bags out of her hands. Seeing them be so perfect reassured me that I could find my person, even though I knew already who that was.

After Kristie had whipped up a meal, we sat together eating at the table.

"So, we leave tomorrow," Sam started to say to me, "have you packed?"

"Yep, everything is neatly folded," I replied.

"I doubt that," Kristie laughed, "you're more of a throw-everything-in-the-suitcase kind of girl."

"Well, maybe it's all stuffed in there, but it is still packed."

The draw for the Olympics was announced a few weeks earlier, and since Tokyo, the number of teams had increased from 12 to 16. We had a hard group, but quite honestly, most of the groups were difficult. It would be hard to pinpoint a group of death, when essentially, all match ups would result in tough battles.