Chapter 22 - FA Cup

Hallie's POV

"I'm so sorry," I said to Indi, as she sat on my couch, holding a cup of tea.

"No, no," she replied, "I'm sorry." She had just told me that she had called it off with Mason and even though I was upset for both her and for my brother, I could tell that it was probably for the best.

"What does this all mean though?" 

"It doesn't change anything between us, Hal," she answered, "you are someone very special to me, and you're a great friend."

"But what about you and Mase?" 

"We were friends before," she answered, "and we'll be friends again. It'll all be okay, Hal. Don't worry about that." I smiled at Indi, feeling slightly at ease with the news I had just received.

We had a few games coming up, as we neared the end of the season. First up was the FA Cup final, which was to be played at Wembley, in front of a sold out crowd. It was set to be Chelsea against Arsenal, and we knew that this was going to be the game of the season, for both our clubs within England.

However, our true game of the season was set to commence a week later, when we were to take on Barcelona in the Champions League final. I was shitting myself for that game. I couldn't even fathom the thought that in my first professional season I had made it to a Champions League final with the team I had always hoped to play with. It didn't sit right with me but at the same time it all felt as if it was falling into place. It felt as if everything was, in fact, right.

"I don't really believe this is all happening," I said to Jessie, one night, as she slept over at my apartment.

"What do you mean?" she questioned, as her head lay against my chest, and her fingers intertwined with my own.

"Tomorrow we are playing in a FA Cup final, and then next week, we're off to Spain. On top of all of that, I'm here. With you." She looked up at me, her sweet eyes staring into mine. She placed her hand on my cheek, pressing her lips against mine softly.

"What was that for?" I asked her.

"I- nothing," she giggled.

"What?" I asked.

"You're just so- you're just such a dreamer, and I love that, and you." I brought Jessie back into my arms, kissing the top of her head, and once again, feeling as if everything was right.

The next morning, we put our kits on and drove to Wembley. I had played in Wembley with the Lionesses before, but not for Chelsea. It was my first Chelsea final, whereas for most of the girls in the team, this was one of many.

"How are you feeling?" Sam asked me, as we sat beside each other in the changing room.

"Alright," I answered, sighing softly.

"Think of this as redemption, from the League loss." We had lost the League to Arsenal, based solely on yellow cards. I was frustrated with that outcome, especially as I had picked up a few yellows myself throughout the season. But I had to remind myself, and most of the girls did too, that it was over. There was no point reminiscing about things that we now cannot control. We must keep striving forwards. We must keep pushing on.

Emma came out to talk to us and tell us the line up.

"Alright," Emma started to say, "AKB in goals, Magda, Kadeisha, Millie and Hallie in defence. Jessie, Fran and Erin in the midfield, and Guro, Sam, and Pernille up top. This is going to be a tight game. Arsenal are going to be on a high after last week. But, if we stick to our plan and stay composed, this is ours to win. Not theirs." We all nodded our heads, understanding what Emma was talking about. "Hallie," Emma then said, "can I quickly speak to you?" I was confused, but when Emma walked into her office, I followed her.