Chapter 5 - Home

WSL Standings - After Matchday 3

Arsenal......9 points

Chelsea......9 points

Manchester United......6 points

Manchester City......6 points

Indi's POV

October 19th 2023

We were rolling into our first international break of the season, and we were heading back home to play a match in Sydney and the other in Brisbane. This would be the first time back in Australia since the World Cup and it was, in a sense, the start of our victory tour. I never thought we would be able to say those words: victory tour. I never even thought that we could possibly win, but we did. We won the World Cup, and it was time to continue those celebrations, along with the rest of our country.

We were set to play England in a two match tussle, so the English girls would have to experience what it is like flying to Australia and then flying back midseason. The jet lag is always rough, but it's just part of the job. All us Aussie girls knew that.

A few days before flying out, I went over to Sam and Kristie's apartment for dinner. They normally invite me over at least once a week, wanting to make sure that I don't feel lonely in the apartment by myself. Since being in England, Kristie has been sure to continue some of the traditions we made while I was in Houston, and this is one of them.

"What are you guys making?" I asked them, as I sat at their dining room table. I let myself in only a few moments earlier, knowing that if I knocked, Kristie would ask why I even bothered.

"Pasta!" Kristie responded, "Pat showed me this awesome recipe and I want to see if I can do it."

"And I'm standing here, looking pretty," Sam added in, holding a spoon but not doing much.

"Classic," I responded, looking down at my phone.

"Thanks for the help," Sam then shouted over at me.

"No problem," I replied, sarcastically, "you guys wouldn't even want my help anyways. I'm not really a foodie."

"Neither, but I at least pretend to look useful," Sam called back, smiling. I walked over to them, sitting on their kitchen countertop. Seeing them look happy, and in love only made me think of Jill. My Jill. Who was multiple countries and a sea away from me. I wished she was back with me. I wished she was still here, living in my apartment. Our apartment. Making me food or hugging me when I was tired.

I pulled out my vlog camera, wanting to record my week leading up to international break. I was still vlogging for We Play Strong. After the World Cup, I knew I wanted to get back into a routine, and these vlogs were something I loved doing. Most of the girls needed a break, so I picked up the slack and decided to be the designated vlogger, all the way until the Christmas break.

"Welcome back to this week's vlogs," I said into the camera, smiling, "today we're starting off strong at the Kerr-Mewis household. Once again, they are making me a bit of dinner. What have we got today, girls?" I turned the camera to Kristie and Sam, who were still preparing the pasta, and its sauce.

"Pasta," Kristie responded.

"I do love a good Kristie pasta," I added in the background.

"Don't we all," Sam replied, lovingly to Kristie.

As they were preparing the food, I went over to the couch to talk into the camera for a little.

"So," I started to say, "obviously this is the first vlog back, from any of us in a little while, and I just wanted to preface a few things first. The World Cup was an absolute dream. Winning felt incredible and I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend what the Matildas and I did over there. However, we also did lose someone very special. A special friend to me and most of the girls in the League and around the world. Please remember that life is precious. We must cherish this world, and the life that we have been given. Ettie was an indescribable human. I loved her with all my heart, and knowing that she isn't here anymore is something I don't think I will ever understand. But, please know, that returning to a sense of normality is so important for me and the rest of the girls in League. We love you guys, I love you guys. And let's try and bring some more happiness into this world. Okay? Awesome." I turned off the camera, and looked over at Sam and Kristie who were serving up the food.