Chapter 16 - Spreading Kindness

Indi's POV

January was over before it had even begun. We ended up topping our group for the Champions League, meaning we would have to verse Juventus in the quarter finals, as they came second in theirs.

The League was also continuing as per normal. We were sitting second on the ladder, only behind on goal difference against Chelsea, and three points ahead of Manchester United.

As February rolled around, I had become more settled in how my life was seeming to pan out. Things were comfortable, and I liked that feeling. Besides the incident at the party, I hadn't thought too much of Jill. She was in Germany, and I was not. I had my own life now, separated from hers, and weirdly that felt okay. I knew right person, wrong time was a cliche and people did often use it as an explanation for why things went wrong, and sometimes I did too, but maybe it was supposed to happen this way. Maybe my life with Jill was meant to end, and maybe it was supposed to allow me to find where I was truly meant to be, and who I was truly meant to love. Or it may not.

During February, Mason had an England game at Wembley. England were coming up against the Czech Republic in a friendly, during their international break. Hallie and I were both going to go, as we had a free night before our crazy two weeks of quarter finals.

I drove to Hallie's apartment to pick her up before the game.

"Nice shirt," she said, as she hopped into the car. I was wearing an England shirt, with Mount on the back. Although I never like rocky colours that aren't green and gold, or red, I thought I could make an exception.

"I don't see you supporting?" I questioned, laughing.

"Well," she replied, "I thought I'd just let you have all the fun."

"Right, sure," I joked back, "of course."

Hallie and I had grown very close over the last few months. She reminded me a lot of myself. She was so similar to how I was, although her confidence was a lot more radiant than my own. But, something about her worried me, and despite trying to talk to her about it, I knew that those sort of things come with time, and patience. I had to understand that, even though I desperately didn't want to.

"How's Jessie going?" I asked her, cheekily. I could see Hallie smile, in my peripheral vision.

"She's good," Hallie replied.

"What's it like? Having yourself a little girlfriend?"

"Well, there's a first time for everything," she answered.

"Buy her flowers? Treat her with chocolates?"

"I mean, yes," Hallie chuckled.

"Good, girls like that."

"And how's Mason? Nearly five months!"

"Jeez, five months already," I laughed.

"Felt more?"

"No, way less."

"Are you guys even official official?" She questioned.

"Sort of," I laughed back.

"Well...?"

"I think he's scared that if he does ask me, I'll say no," I said, seriously.

"Would you?" 

"You're his sister!" I laughed, "I can't be talking about this with you."

"So that's a yes?" She asked, genuinely curious.

"Hal, I don't know. I haven't had a boyfriend since I was, what, 15?"

"What was he like?"

"It was a high school romance, and besides, I was never really at school to make it count anyways."