Chapter 3 - When Alexia Met Bradie

Bradie's POV

We had our first game of the season fast approaching and I knew it was going to be different to what I had experienced in the WSL and the NWSL. Liga F was unique. We were the favourites, in every match we were to play in, and so that came with more pressure, but also more freedom.

"First game," I said to Lucy, as we sat together in the locker room, "nervous?"

"No, more excited," she answered me, but not concentrating on me, but rather Keira, who sat a few seats down, by herself.

"Is she ready?" I questioned.

"Not sure," she replied, "I'm not even too sure what to do about it all though. Not sure what this life has planned for me, for her, for any of us." As she spoke, all I could think about was the letter. Was it time to give Lucy's hers?

"Just be there for her," I replied, "and now is probably included in that." Lucy nodded, and walked over to where Keira was sitting. As I saw them interact, I knew they were meant to be. They were an inevitable.

I stood in front of my locker, as I was about to change. I saw my name and my number printed so clearly on my clean, Barca shirt.

Meyer

12

It felt right having this name on my jersey. My name. It was the name I hadn't known for too long, but the one that felt most like me. For a while, through my childhood especially, I had an identity crisis. I didn't know who I was, or what had happened to me, and it pushed me down a path that was bad. That nearly ruined my career before it had even started. But now, I know, that this name, the name I had for the first eight years of my life, is my name. It shows where I have come from, and where I've been.

"Nice name," I heard a voice say behind me, the Spanish accent so strong against my Boston one. I turned around to see Alexia standing behind me, looking at my jersey also.

"My first name," I answered to her, "my original name, I guess you could say."

"You have an interesting story, Bradie Van Dyk, or should I say Willow?"

"Bradie is fine," I laughed slightly.

"I don't know," she then said, "I think you suit Willow." She smiled a soft grin, encapsulating me with her eyes. I tried not to blush, so as I looked away, she could only chuckle to herself.

We were up against Villarreal in the first match of the season, so as I prepared myself for my debut, I put my jersey on.

"Muy Bonita," Mapi Leon said to me, saying "very nice" in Spanish, referencing my name and my Barca shirt.

"Why thank you," I chuckled back, knowing what she was saying but not sure yet how to reply (because of my lack of knowledge on the Spanish language yet.)

"I'm surprised her English hasn't gotten any better," Ingrid then said to me, going up to Mapi and giving her a quick hug, "I've tried teaching her." Ingrid and Mapi had been together for a while now, and whenever I see them together, I am reminded about how people, from two different backgrounds, and countries, can find each other. It is possible, and I guess that is nice to see.

As we walked out, I was starting. Starting in the 9, where I belonged. Alongside me at the top was Caroline and Ana. In the midfield, there was Alexia, Keira and Aitana. And in the backline was Lucy, Mapi, Irene, and Fridolina, with Sandra in goals. This was the team. The best team I had ever been a part of at club level.

We were all wearing black armbands, for Ettie. Some of the girls didn't even know her, but they knew of her. Everyone did. She was not only Keira's sister but also Ettie, and it was hard not to know her.