Chapter 25 - The Last Letters

Indi's POV

The Olympics flew by. It was crazy how quickly it all went. We won our games against New Zealand and Canada, and drew against Spain, but because of the goal difference, we went into the quarters holding the top position.

We drew France in the first round of the elimination finals. They were the home side, but they weren't the favourites. We were. We were the team that was expected to win. Expected to go the whole way, possibly even win the whole thing.

Going into the game, I sat beside Sam.

"So, when are you going to do it?" I asked her.

"Like I said, after the games," she responded, regarding the ring she had stored in her bedside drawer.

"I am just so excited," I replied, giddily back.

"I can tell," Sam joked.

"You guys are just... perfect." Sam smiled back, looking down at her laces.

"Inds, Kris has told me about the Jill thing." Sam whispered the 'Jill' part so quietly, as to not let anyone hear.

"I expected that," I laughed.

"And I know Kristie has said you have to be content on your own, but also do remember what you guys had before. Whenever I saw you both together, I knew something so great was ahead for you guys. You both are also perfect. Remember that." I smiled at my captain, hugging her slightly, before it was time to walk out.

We won the game against France. Although it was tight, when the first whistle sounded, I knew we were going to get to the semis.

We scored first, through a Hayley goal. Hayley got on the end of an Ellie cross, hitting the back of the net.

In the second half, Sam scored as well, tallying her tournament goals to six. She was leading the race for the golden boot, with Viv trailing on five, and Bradie on four.

France did score via a Wendie Renard header in the 79th minute, a final goal scored by EVE in the 84th minute meant the scoreline rested at 3-1, and we were in the semi finals.

Watching the Spain and Netherlands game was stressful. I knew that if the Dutch girls did get the win, we would be facing them in the semis. I didn't want to verse her. I didn't want to have to come against Jill. But I knew it was most likely what was going to occur.

And I was right.

When Daan scored the only goal of the game in the 86th minute, we knew they were going through, and we knew we were to come up against them. I just hoped that it wouldn't hurt what I knew could happen with the girl I had always loved.

The semis were then fast approaching. For the US, they beat Sweden in the quarters, and Great Britain beat Brazil. The final four were the Netherlands, Australia, the US, and Great Britain. It was definitely going to be a fight.

Our semi final was first. When we walked into the changing room, everyone was calm. No one was overthinking it, besides me. I was. I was worried about what was to come, and I felt my heart start beating out of control.

I decided to walk it off.

"Where you going?" EVE asked me, as I left the room.

"Walk," I replied, and she nodded as I walked out.

As I walked through the confusing corridors of the stadium, I once again got lost. I knew that I should start to mark my walking, as this had been becoming a recurring theme for myself in stadiums.

I was about to turn a corner, when I heard a few voices talk. They had strong Dutch accents, and I knew straight away who the voices were.

"What are you thinking?" Viv asked. I was standing behind the wall, not letting any of the Dutch players know I was there.