Chapter 8 - Champions League

Champions League 2023/2024 Group Announcements

Group A

FC Bayern Frauen

Chelsea WFC

BK Häcken

A.S. Roma Women

Group B

Barcelona Femení

Paris Saint-Germain Féminine

Manchester United WFC

SK Slavia Prague

Group C

Arsenal WFC

VfL Wolfsburg Women

Real Madrid Femenino

S.L. Benfica

Group D

Olympique Lyonnais Féminin

Juventus F.C. Women

FC Zürich Frauen

FC Rosengård Women

Indi's POV

November 3rd 2023

The Arsenal against Chelsea game was an exciting one to watch. Both teams were playing incredibly well, and the backlines were strong on both accounts. We wanted to score. Both teams did. But when Chelsea got the opener, via a Hallie cross and Sam header, we knew we had to retaliate.

Soon, Viv received the ball from Jordan in the middle. She turned, and shot, the ball creeping past the Chelsea keeper in goals. The game was levelled.

And it ended the same way. Neither team were deserving of a loss, and so a draw would have to do.

"Great game," I said to Hallie, as we shook hands afterwards.

"I swear this is all a dream," she laughed.

"Definitely not a dream, my girl," I said, "you're here."

When the Champions League draw was announced, a pit flew into my stomach. I was hoping that this wouldn't happen. I was hoping it wasn't going to have to be Wolfsburg against Arsenal. But luck was not in my favour.

Earlier in the week, Jill was injured. She had an achilles tendon rupture, during her game in the international break. When I found out what the injury was, I was in bed, waiting beside my phone for her to call me back.

"Hey," I said, picking up the phone as she facetimed me.

"Hi," she said, looking frustrated.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, concerned.

"No," she answered, "this is so fucked."

"What happened?"

"I've torn my achilles," she said, "4-6 months apparently." I looked at my girlfriend over the phone, seeing her noticeable anger within not just the injury but also herself.

"Jill, I'm so sorry," I said to her, trying to emphasise the best I can. I haven't been injured since 2021, when I dislocated my knee. But that was only six weeks out. I couldn't imagine having to do six months.

"They want me to start rehab straight away," she continued.

"That's good right?" I asked.

"Yeah, I guess."