Chapter 11 - Best Friend's Brother

Hallie's POV

"Okay then," I said to my brother, confused about what he would have to tell me.

"Indi and I, we're...kind of...um...together... sort of....not really."

"Huh?"

"Well, Indi and I-"

"Yeah, I got that part but huh?"

"We're kind of a thing... sort of."

"Mason, what?"

"Like, we're together... kind of."

"Sorry, when? What? How?"

"A few weeks ago, when she and I were at your apartment, we had a bit to drink, then I kissed her and-"

"You kissed her?" I exclaimed, still confused.

"Yeah, I kissed her, and then we've kind of been with each other a lot since."

"Mase, I'm so confused right now."

"Good confused or bad confused?"

"Well, it's not like I care too much that it's Indi, more that you've been with a girl for the past few weeks." I laughed as I said this, and he chuckled too.

"So you don't care?"

"No, why would I?"

"I don't know," he replied, "maybe it's because she's your friend."

"So what? That's kind of cute."

"You sure that you're okay?" He asked once more.

"Yes, Mase. As long as you're both happy, then I don't really care."

"Wow, Hal, that actually means a lot."

"Did you really think I was going to get mad?" I questioned.

"I'm not sure what I was thinking," he replied.

"Well, Mase, I honestly don't care. Truly. It's kind of cute and you're both adults and make your own decisions." He leant over, wrapping his arms around me.

"So, you like her?" I asked him, sipping on the teas that I had made us both.

"Yeah, I really do."

"Just be careful though," I said.

"Why?"

"Well, she's been through a lot neither you nor I know about. She's Indi Harrison, you could probably read an article and find out a lot you didn't know and that still wouldn't be all of it."

"What do you mean?" He asked. So, instead of explaining, I decided to show him. I pulled out my phone, typing 'Indi Harrison' into the search bar.

"Look," I said, pulling up the first article that popped up on google.

A Story of Courage: The Incredible life of Matilda's Vice Captain, India Harrison

"And this was the first headline," I said to him, "there are plenty more just like it."

"I know about some of it," he replied, "but not all of it."

"Yeah, same."

"I think," he started to say, "when she wants to tell me, she will. I'm not going to pry to find out." I nodded my head, agreeing with him. Everyone has their own past, and demons. I know that all too well.

Indi's POV

When Mason told me how his talk with Hallie went, I was relieved, but also surprised. I wasn't sure how she would react to the news, but I was glad she was okay. It was important to me that she would be fine with it. I didn't want to put any sort of stress onto anyone, especially Hallie.