Chapter 19 - Miracles Can Happen

Football's New Power Couple? How Mason Mount and India Harrison are changing the game individually and now together

Mason Mount, Chelsea and English Midfielder, has been a staple within football for many years now, going to the World Cup and the Euros. Mount, who is an important player in almost any team he plays for, has been pictured wearing an Australian National team jersey, at the recent Arnold Clark Cup. The name on the back of his jersey? Harrison.

India Harrison, more commonly known as Indi, has been a pivotal player for the growth of Women's football since she was 15 years old. Harrison, who started her professional career at only 14, is the Matildas vice captain, has won both the Ballon D'or and FIFA's best, got to an Olympics semi final, and won the Champions League with Arsenal. Although arguably her greatest success came over the summer, when she and her Matildas beat the Netherlands in the final of the World Cup.

Harrison has not only been crucial for the growth of the women's game, but has also been a key figure in the process of raising awareness for major societal issues, such as mental health and assault. Harrison, who has been open about her struggles, has been considered a footballer but also an advocate, something very crucial to her brand.

Recently, pictures went viral of Mount wearing an Australian jersey, with Harrison's name, to the Matildas Arnold Clark Cup fixture against England, where his younger sister, Hallie Mount was also playing. Although his own football allegiance is to his country, his support of his not yet confirmed but highly speculated girlfriend is evident.

Many questioned this new pairing, especially considering the photos that emerged last year after the Women's World Cup final, after Harrison was seen to hug and kiss her then girlfriend, Jill Roord of the Dutch National team. Many assumed Harrison's sexuality, however, after a recent announcement on her instagram, Harrison called out this speculation and the assumptions, stating that "sexuality is a very fluid concept" and "labels...are not something [she] likes using."

Harrison, furthermore, is seen as a beacon of advocacy and strength, within a world that can often seem daunting and conservative.

Indi's POV

We won our second leg against Juventus, which meant we were going to be up against Barcelona in the semi final. I was incredibly excited to play at Camp Nou. As a kid, I remember hearing about the incredible atmosphere that is brought at the stadium, and how incredibly supportive and loud the fans of Barcelona truly are.

We had just finished our final training session before the upcoming league game against Man City. I was sitting beside Kristie, who was on her phone, as I was untying my shoelace.

"Can you fix my hair please?" I asked her, as I felt it on my neck.

"Yeah sure," she replied, standing up and fixing the loose hair that sprayed on my back, "does your hand hurt?"

"A little," I answered.

"Why do you think so?" She asked.

"Not sure," I answered, "maybe because I have been having to do my hair every day and everything like that. It can get sore if it is used too much." Before Jill and I broke up, she would do my hair whenever she was around. She would braid it, and brush it, and everything in between. Not only was she good at doing those things for me, but she also enjoyed it and knew how much it helped me. These are the things I missed. I missed how she knew how to help me, and how to love me.

"Want to come over tonight?" I then asked Kristie.

"Sure," she answered, "is Liz still in town?" 

"Yeah she is, and would love to see you, and Sammy too."