Chapter 9: Probably

Children shouldn't play with dead things 2

"We can't just waste it with a headshot?" Dean paces back and forth.

"No, Dean, we can't." Alexis sighs, rubbing her eyes as she shift in her seat, trying to get comfortable.

"Dude, you've been watching way too many Romero flicks." Sam says.

"You're telling me there's no lore on how to smoke 'em?" Dean turns around , walking back toward Alexis. He sits down in the chair beside hers. She closes her eyes, hoping that would help with her terrible headache and would do for sleep.

"No, Dean, I'm telling you, there's too much. I mean, there's a hundred legends on the walking dead, but they all have different methods of killing them. Some say setting them on fire. One said-where is it?" Sam asks himself as he sits down at the table. "Right here. Feeding their hearts to wild dogs. That's my personal favorite."

"Well, if you keep talking so loud I'll feed you to wild dogs." Alexis glares at Sam. Dean glances at her, he reaches over and sets a hand on her knee; giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Who knows what's real and what's myth." Sam slams John's journal closed.

"Is there anything they have in common?" Dean asks, his hand not moving from Alexis' knee.

"No. But a few said silver might work."

"Silver's a start."

Sam sighs. "But how are we gonna find Angela?"

"Follow the trail of dead plants. Its like the yellow brick road, but less appealing." Alexis mutters.

"We gotta figure out who brought her back." Dean says.

"Any ideas?" Sam asks.

"I think if its not her dad, it might be that guy Neil." Dean stands up, the comforting warmth of his hand leaving Alexis as he walks toward his leather jacket.

"Neil?" Alexis asks.

"Yep."

"How'd you come up with that?" Sam questions.

"Well, you got your journal, I got mine." Dean turns to face them, the diary in his hands. "'Neil's a real shoulder to cry on. He so understands what I'm going through with Matt.' There's more where that came from. Its got unrequited ducky love written all over it." Dean quickly glances at Alexis before looking at Sam.

"But that doesn't mean he brought her back from the dead." Sam argues.

"Hmm. Did I mention that he's Professor Mason's TA. Has access to all the same books."

~~~

Alexis crosses her arms over her chest as Dean opens Neil's front door. She smiles a little as Deans sent fills her nose. Dean had lent her his jacket since she, in a sleep deprived and ready to get the job over with haze, left hers at the motel. His jacket was still warm from when he was wearing it. On a side note, she had to admit she thought he smelt nice, and she wasn't too upset over leaving her coat.

"Hello?" Dean calls out as the three walk into the house. "Neil." Dean yells as Sam quietly closes the door. "Its your grief counselors. We've come to hug." Dean pulls his gun from his waistband.

"Silver bullets?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, enough to make her rattle like a change purse." Dean answers as they walks through the house.

The three walk into another room, taking notice of the dead plants that were scattered around the room.

They eventually come to a stop at a door that had a lock on it. Dean shrugs, glancing between Sam and Alexis.