Chapter 25: They are

Playthings 1

"Yeah. Okay. Thanks, Ellen." Sam hangs up the phone.

"What'd she have to say?" Dean asks.

"She's got nothing. Me, I've been checking every database: federal, state, local. No one's heard anything about Ava. She just--Into thin air, you know?"

Dean hands Alexis a cup of coffee before handing one to Sam as well.

"What about you?" Sam asks.

"No. Same as before. Sorry, man."

"Yeah." Sam pauses. "Ellen did have one thing. A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the past three weeks."

"Yeah, what's that have to do with Ava."

"Nothing, I assume." Alexis stands up, pain shooting through her leg and stomach. She stifles a groan. You're fine, She tells herself, you're fine. It was odd, every now and then she'd get a shooting pain where she was injured. She did heal just fine, a little too fine. But it was like she was reliving what had happened. She moves toward her bag, grabbing a flask and pouring a little into her coffee cup.

"Its a job. I mean, a lady drown in the bathtub. The a few days ago, a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete 180. Which isn't exactly normal, you know?" Sam explains as Dean takes off his jacket. "Look, I don't know, Dean, it might be nothing. But I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out."

"You did?" Dean sits down on the bed. Alexis sits down on the other side where she was before.

"Yeah. You seem surprised."

"Well, yeah, its just, you know...not the patented Sam Winchester way, is it?"

"What way is that?"

"Just figured after Ava there'd be, you know, more angst and droopy music and starring out the rainy windows." Dean waves a hand. Sam gives him a look as Alexis chuckles a little. "Yeah, I'll shut up now." Dean moves to leans against the headboard of the bed.

"Look, I'm the one who told her to go back home. Now her fiance's dead and some demons taken her off to god knows where. You know? We've been looking for a month now and we got nothing." Sam moves to sit on the bed across from Dean and Alexis. "So I'm not giving up on her but I'm not gonna let other people die either. We gotta save as many people as we can.

Dean nods. "Wow, that attitude is just way too healthy for me. I'm officially uncomfortable now, thank you."

Alexis brings the coffee cup to her lips. "I know right, I liked the angst and staring out windows better." She jokes.

Sam chuckles.

"Alright, call Ellen, tell her we'll take it." Dean nods.

"Oh, thank god. I've never been more excited to hunt some shit down." Alexis stands up, no pain this time. It was weird. She honestly had no clue what was going on. She healed quickly, almost too quickly. She shakes her head.

~~~

"Dude, this is sweet." Dean and Alexis stare up at the house after getting out of the car. "We never get to work jobs like this."

"Like what?" Sam asks, grabbing a backpack from the backseat of the car.

"Old school haunted house, you know? Fog, secret passageways, sissy British accents."

"Its kinda pretty." Alexis looks up at the building. "Even thought it totally screams 'enter and you will die'."

"Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside." Dean continues and Sam scoffs. Dean chuckles. "Mm, Daphne, love her."