Chapter 18: Before something bad happens

"So, what is that stuff out front?" Sam asks. Alexis glances around the canvas covered room. Paintings were sitting around everywhere.

"Goofer dust." George states. "You boys think you know something about something but not goofer dust?" He throws a bag of the dust to Dean, who catches it.

"We know a little about a lot of things. Just enough to make us dangerous." Dean looks at the man with a smirk on his face. Alexis smiles a little.

"What is it?" Sam asks.

"Hoodoo. My Grandma taught me. Keeps out demons."

"Demons we know." Dean nods, inspecting the bag of goofer dust.

"Well, then, keep it." George tells him, moving to sit in his chair. "Maybe it'll do you some good. Four minutes left."

"Mr. Darrow. We know you're in trouble." Sam says.

"Yeah, that you got yourself into." Dean adds. Alexis nudges his arm. She did agree with Dean, but he could be a little more polite.

Sam gives his brother a look before turning back to George. "But its not hopeless, alright? There's gotta be something we can do."

"Listen. I get that you four wanna help. But sometimes a person makes their bed and they just got to lie down in it. I'm the one who called that demon in the first place."

"What'd you do it for?" Dean asks.

"I was weak. I mean, who don't wanna be great? Who don't want their life to mean something? I just--I just never thought about the price."

"Was it worth it?"

"Hell, no. Of course, I asked for talent. Should've gone for fame. I'm still broke. And lonely. Just now I got this pile of paintings don't nobody want. But that wasn't the worst."

"Go on." Sam urges.

"Demon didn't leave. I never counted on that. After our deal was done the damn thing stayed at Lloyd's for a week. Just chatting , making more deals. I tried to warn folks, but who's gonna listen to an old drunk."

"How many more sold their soul?" Alexis asks.

"This architect, a doctor lady. I kept up with them. They been in the papers. At least they got famous."

"Who else, George? Come on, think." Dean takes a step forward.

"One more. Uh, nice guy too. Hudson. Evan, I think. I don't know what he asked for. Don't matter now. We done for."

"No. No, there's gotta be a way." Sam shakes his head.

"You don't get it." George says. "I don't want a way."

"Look, you don't have-"

"Look, I called the thing." George stands up. "I brought it on myself. I brought it on them. I'm going to hell, one way or another. All I want is to finish my last painting. A day or two, I'm done. I'm just trying to hold him off till the end. Buy a little time. Okay. Time you four went. Go help somebody that wants help."

"We can't just-" Sam starts.

"Get out!" George yells. "I got work to do."

"You don't really wanna die."

"I don't? I'm....I'm tired."

Dean looks at Sam and with that the four of them head toward the door.

~~~

Alexis sighs, biting her lips as she scrolls though the laptop. Dean glances up at her. Sam and Vivian had went to get food while they stayed, trying to find out where this Evan Hudson lives.