The purge of Gundabad

Thranduil's forehead was resting upon silk covers, his head turned to the side, eyes closed. There was darkness in the room apart from the pale moonlight creeping inside from the openings in the ceiling. Tauriel was sleeping next to him, her nose buried against her hand, curled in a fetus position. Thranduil's bare chest was facing upwards, half-naked from under the sheets. He looked peaceful yet, in the silent of the night, a soft gasp escaped his lips and his hand twitched. His chest raised as he started breathing in a more alert manner. A few moments passed and he gasped again. He was muttering something. Tauriel opened her eyes. A few other long moments passed before his body twitched again and he gasped. Tauriel's hand moved over his bare chest, calling him softly. He turned his head towards her nervously, opening his eyes. He looked at her seemingly calmer then sighed.

Tauriel's hand was now touching his cheek and she was close enough to him to hear her worried breathing. Her sight was bringing him comfort. He relaxed his head against the pillow again while looking towards her.

'I dreamt of the war against Morgoth.', Thranduil spoke with a deep, soft voice.

Again, he thought. He believed those dreams to be over but it seemed that, sometimes, he was still dreaming of things of the past, images of memories that impacted him.

'Then it all changed.', he continued and Tauriel listened carefully, her presence still hovering above him. 'I was standing on the desolated site of the battle of the Last Alliance, after Sauron's fall. I could see those marshes... and there, in the water, there was the face of my father.'

She kept silent above his head, her hand still resting gently upon his face.

'He was buried on site as we were at war still and could not return to Mirkwood with his body.', Thranduil spoke softly as the images from his dream were blending with real memories. 'After seven years, when the battle was finally over, the marshes kept on advancing towards the graves until, eventually, I was told, they have swollen up the entire place. Maldir took a few soldiers and ventured to the Dead Marshes but never found his body. It lies there somewhere, under the water, and will remain there forever.'

There was a long silence between them within the darkness of the chamber. Then the sound of movement against silk sheets was heard as Tauriel placed herself on the bed close to him, resting upon her elbow.

'It was just a dream.', she whispered.

Thranduil sighed.

'Yes. But they never seem to go away.', he replied. 'I could see his face there... looking at me. His frozen image in that water.'

He wondered why he had these dreams even though he had not thought of his father's demise in centuries. Even though the war was now completely over. Perhaps it had something to do with Legolas' announced departure. In his dream, it felt like he had abandoned his father there, in that marsh, just like he himself felt abandoned.

'Thranduil.', Tauriel spoke softly and her voice brought him back to reality. 'There are some things that can never be forgotten. You have seen more horrors than any of us. You know that even I was having dreams about my family's demise... But they are now fewer and fewer. Time will heal everything.'

'Time...', Thranduil whispered. 'I have had enough time for the past 6000 years. Time is now running out, I'm afraid.'

Tauriel sighed gently and in the semi-obscure room, he could almost see her concerned expression.

'Do you think we will fade?', she asked.

Thranduil took his time before he answered:

'Eventually, yes.'