Behind the mask

Disclaimer: I don't own the video! "Now that it's raining more than ever, know that we'll still have each other..." 

About 600 years before, in the Woodland Realm 

A few days passed since Tauriel had woken up on a soft bed, unknown faces of healers coming in and out of the room. She had drifted in and out of consciousness until she finally came to her senses completely and stood still on the bed, eyes wide awake, remembering all that had happened. She felt numb, empty. 

'Oh, you are awake', a voice came after a while from the door.

A dark-haired elleth came through the door. She was a stranger though Tauriel recognized the face of the person who had attended to her needs and healed her for days while she was still convalescing. She still had no idea where she was. 

'How are you feeling, my dear?', the elleth asked.

'I...don't know.', young Tauriel answered honestly. 'I don't feel any more physical pain but I also don't feel good either.'

'You will recover, you'll see. I can feel you have great strength in you and will to live.'

She let on her night table a glass of water and what seemed like a small potion bottle. 

'The King has asked for your health.'

Tauriel looked at her with a confused expression.

'The King?'

Surely it couldn't be...King Thranduil?, she thought to herself. 

'Of course. Who do you think saved you from the forest?', the elven healer said as she put 3 drops of the potion into the cup of water and handed it to Tauriel. 'Come, let's get you dressed. He wants to speak with you.'

Tauriel had heard of the King of the Woodland Realm from her mother. After all, he and his father had ruled over Greenwood for millennia. She was young so she had never seen the King in person, not even from afar. She was told that he was fair and just but, other than that, the King had been just a legend; a legend of someone who merely shared the same forest as her. A vague memory of his luminous hair, beautiful features and strong arms carrying her came to her mind and made her suddenly embarrassed at the thought of being in his arms.

She was soon given a few clothes of far greater quality than she had ever worn, although they were still only casual and relatively modest for the elves in the kingdom. Her hair was now washed and braided. She stood in front of the royal halls, as one of the captains, Maldir, was teaching her how to behave in the presence of the King.

'Remember to always bow your head when you enter the room and when you leave. Always address him by 'my lord' or 'my King'.'

A young dark-haired guard from behind the captain was looking at her with an almost amused smile. She would later find out his name was Feren and that he was new in the guard. He was also intimidated by the King but he admired him greatly and wanted to prove himself worthy of his role. He would later become one of her closest fighting comrades. 

'Also,', the captain continued, 'you have to stay at least 4 feet away from him. You can't get any closer to the King. Do you understand?'

He pointed towards the door next to them. 

'After you get through this door, you'll have a narrow hallway, take the first door to the left and then you have some steps going down to his chamber. Remember to make your presence known.'