Chapter Twenty-One

~

Recap;

We fall on the bed, holding each other, I close my eyes, chest still heaving but with the effort to stay awake as I lay wrapped up in Holten's arms.

My body fully satiated and empty, almost flattened itself up against Holten as his arms wrap around my body, pulling me close and we both fall asleep, our even breaths mingling in the air into the night as we fall asleep.

Sweet dreams haunt my dreams as I fall into a very deep sleep.

~

Chapter Twenty-One

The sand beneath my feet was hot and dry, the sun adding to the dryness of the air, making it unbelievably hot out. The overlooking water on the horizon moved as if bothered by the sun as well.

The dark blue ocean called out to me and I walk the shoreline, squelching my toes in the mud and sand.

"Not too far girls!" My mom yells out.

"I'll get Marley mama!" I yell behind my shoulder as I run a full sprint to my best friend's looming figure in the near distance.

"Rave! Come look at the snail I found!" eight-year-old Marley waves a snail shell around in the air as eight-year-old me runs up to her on the beach.

"Marley! Put it down! It could bite you." I screech running close, trying to swipe the shell out of her hand before it could bite her hand.

"Raven, don't you know snails don't bite, at least that's what my mama says." Marleys says, her light giggly voice concentrated on this tiny little creature as she stares at it in awe.

"Marley, you're so brave." I say staring at the snail in her hands as it pokes its slimy head out.

"No, I'm just not scared. Like you." Marleys sing songs at me, her small lips pulling into a smile.

My lips turn into a pout, "Am not!" I shout.

"It's okay if you are, I'll always protect you Rave, you're my bestest friend." Marley says, dropping the snail and instantly throwing her arms around my neck and crushing me in a tight hug.

"Bestest isn't a word.."

The sudden ring of my phone blaring loudly throughout the room had me instantly springing up on the bed, abruptly awoken by the memory of a significant day in my and Marleys lives.

I lean to the side and grip my phone, trying hard not to glare at it. The shrill tone worsened the oncoming migraine I was experiencing and for the forth time since getting here, I wondered where the hell Samson is.

This is too many times I have woken up without him and if something bad were to happen, an unprovoked panic attack or an episode could come along and I would be royally screwed, well without the royal part.

The name that pops up on my screen has all insides screwing tightly together. Caiden.

I turn my head to the side, glancing at Holten to see him sleeping peacefully on his stomach again, his face turned towards me.

I sigh heavily and don't think too much about it before I hit the answer button.

"I am in the basement, can you come to see me? I could really use someone to talk to." Caiden's voice comes out tired. Like he was exhausted.

I tried not to, but the light blue orbs came swimming back into my vision.

"I don't think that is such a good idea. Talk to Marley Caiden, you guys need to be able to communicate-"