29. Poltergeist

~=×=~

[The votes were pretty close, so I went with George's cottage and then you can go to Endernovalia next]

[If you spot any inconsistencies in the writing, please let me know. It's been awhile and don't let me forgetfulness disrupt your reading experience!]

[Also! Witch Echo is at the end of the chapter so stay tuned ;D]

×

It was like static, playing over and over on a broken record. The sizzle of flesh on a hot pan, the cries of crackling fire.

A dull pain in the back of her mind was overridden by the smell of citrus - orange and cinnamon floating through the air and into her nose, with the delicate tickle of her hair sliding across the bridge of her nose. She wiggled her fingers, relieved that they were all intact, feeling the layer of fabric that was draped over her body.

Then came the realisation, an additional blow to her already flourishing headache. There was Wilbur, the need to escape, the pain across her arms and... and the portal.

I summoned a portal!? I actually... holy sh*t... I'm actually getting stronger...

The elf managed to force her eyes open, the auburn lights around her a little too bright for her throbbing head. Perhaps it was a migraine? Was this one of the consequences to using magic?

Another smack to her mind. A memory. A truth.

×

"Hello? Hello, is anyone there?"

The little girl called out, her voice cracking with dehydration and fear. Lost and alone in a place like this spelled danger for such a defenceless little creature such as herself. The leaves of this forest were silver and purple, the bark so dark that the cracks between were lighter than the wood itself.

Her hands were trembling, golden blood dripping down, down, down...

"Please! I'm so scared... Please won't somebody tell me who I am?"

Her hands reached out, her surroundings listening intently. She managed to push through the trees, falling to her scraped knees at the edge of the lake. The Lake.

Her reflection painted the portrait of someone so alien she could barely recognise it, with white hair and [E/C] irises that held equally white pupils. Her horns, which were once neat and curved over the top of her skull had sprouted upwards, branching and spiking in new directions like that of a deer or dead tree.

"Did I make a mistake? I... I think I made a mistake..." She mumbled, touching her cheek and licking the tip of her finger. Her blood was still hers.

"Why didn't anyone tell me the consequences?"

×

Y/N gasped, hands clutching her head as her headache spiralled. Tidal waves of emotions thrashed and clashed against one another, all fighting for the dominant spot on the podium. It was strange, it was bizarre, it was astonishing, it was stupid, and none of it made any sense.

She knew. She knew the girl in that reflection is her. It was her own memory, after all.

It just doesn't make any sense.

"Do they hurt?" A voice suddenly said, grasping her attention and reeling her in, "your arms, I mean. They were burned pretty bad."

There he was - the Wisp bound to her soul by means of magic. That was true, that part was obvious, but why was he missing in the memory? The girl in that truth, that reality, wasn't soul bound.