27. Rumbling

[Read the announcement at the end please!]

[Also hey, Dragon returns! Enjoy this little chapter, filled with Easter eggs >:D]

~=×=~

Echo glared at the woman who he had just pinned to the wall. After a very one-sided conversation, the wisp had lurched forward and slammed his palm over her mouth, shining her against the smooth wall. She squirmed at the pain of his harsh movement.

"You better shut your mouth just like I told you," he whispered lowly, ears twitching towards the directions of the sound he had heard previously.

Usually, Echo respected women to the highest degree possible. However, after hearing that sound again so tantalisingly close, he had no choice but to resort to violence.

That sound. A low and echoing noise that was akin to an alien dragon dragging its jagged nail across his skin. Echo could feel it - his skin splitting and whitening at the contact, being cut and slashed. Where was it coming from?

His dark purple hairs stood on end. Slowly, Echo turned, pearly white eyes scanning the room. Every detail, every crack, particle of dust, remnants of sentience - anything! What was that?

His pointed ear twitched. A rumbling, a sound foreboding and ominous, the kind that makes you want to curl into a ball and disappear. Never move again, just be nothing and despair.

His grip loosened on the sheep hybrid when he came to the conclusion that wherever it was, it wasn't near him.

No, he was certain that this sound came from somewhere else. Somewhere near his mage.

×

The tea was sweet and delicate, gently grazing her tongue before it slid down her throat and left a trail of flavour. Freshly brewed Honeyblood tea. Despite the ominous name, this tea is actually one of the most wonderful and sought after beverages in the world.

The small table they were sat on gazed out at the waterfall that decorated the castle's library. Everything in this vast and beautiful place was Elven, once again sparking the question of how a piglin hybrid came to be king here.

Speaking of which, said hybrid was explaining to Y/N how so little humans came here.

"It's said that humans who come here fall prey to the magical yet vicious creatures of our world. The last human I met died a gruesome death of being mauled by a ravager." The king told the story in a plain and simple tone, as if he were bored of the very subject.

"Why humans? Howcome the other species thrive?"

He leaned forward, grinning brilliantly. His eyes held an emotion akin to smug pride and relief. "Because we're stronger here. This place... this world... you feel it, don't you? You feel it in your veins, in the air you breathe?"

That feeling? It had been quite awhile since she had woken up in those woods. Did she feel stronger?

No. She felt weakened, like invisible chains were pulling on her shoulders down, down, down to the ground until she's crushed under the weight of her burdens and struggles. She didn't dare bring this up to the hybrid.

He was right about a few things, though. The clarity of the air and boosted to a wondrous breeze of mystery and dreams, fresh and crisp like azure water under the golden sun. It felt good.

Almost subconsciously, her hands made their way to her horns. The bone was smooth and flawless, and yet they felt strong and fierce. Like they were ready to shift into a greater version of themselves.