9. Ender

°•~==×==~•°

×

What? What just happened..? The words echoed in her mind. She specifically remembered something about... Difficulty increasing? What does that mean?

All of a sudden reality seems to snap back into case, as she remembers where she is. Peeping through the bush, she sees someone humming, playing with a gem in their hand. Or rather, something.

She could only see his side profile, as he was facing a small, turquoise pond which had Coi fish swimming around in circles. He had a soft smile resting in his face, which from this angle, was pure white. His red eye was softly looking at the fish, relaxed at their movement. The tune he was singing reminded Y/N of a game about a skeleton wearing a hoodie.

Deciding that it was creepy just staring at this stranger, she stood up from where she was crouched and simply said, "hello!"

He jumped, startled by her actions, and a leather backed book that was resting on his lap was flung into the air, landing inches from Y/N's feet.

Now looking in her direction, with a half scared look in his eyes, Y/N noticed that half of his face was black. The other, white, illuminated by the Moon's reflection in the pond.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you," Y/N apologised, picking up the book which was page-down. Catching a glimpse of its contents, she saw that half of it was in English, the other in a language she couldn't recognise.

Dusting off some dirt from the book, she handed it back to him, slowly. He hesitantly took it from her hands, a little shaky. Poor thing was scared.

He stood up from the rock he was perched on, and it was now Y/Ns turn to be frightened. He looked to be around six foot six, and she had to crane her neck to see his face.

Two different coloured horns sat at the edge of his forehead, protruding two-toned hair. He gave an awkward smile.

"It's okay.. I'm easily startled anyway. I think," his voice was like caramel on jagged dark chocolate, "I- I've never seen you before.. are you a friend... or.. f- foe?"

A little surprised at his question, she smiles and shook her head. Odd question, but that's not important. He doesn't seem dangerous, especially since he became slightly less tense at her answer.

"Hey.. um.. people have told me to stay away from this forest, and that it's dangerous. Is this true?" She asks, at which he tilts his head. He adjusts his suit, but his confused look remains.

"There aren't any threats here. At least that I know of- are you a threat?" He looks down at her, searching her figure for any weapons.

She giggles at the question; she wasn't exactly what you could call intimidating, "no," at which he tilts his head again.

"Really? I can sense an odd energy coming from you though. I can't quite figure out what it is," he explained.

He's a little odd.

She raises an eyebrow, which he takes as her being unaware of that. He takes a step closer, and took out his pen, which was a Victorian-style dip pen. It was filled with ink.

"How long have you been here.."

"Y/N."

"Yes, how long have you been here Y/N?"

She scratches her chin, and counts the days backwards, "Just under two weeks," she wonders why he needs to know this, and how much information she really should be giving him. He could be dangerous.