FORTY-THREE

Y/N

I don't know what time I fell asleep. I heard Tom angrily talking on the phone for most of the night. He promised me he'd come back to bed soon after me, but he wasn't in bed until well into the early morning. I roll over and will myself to fall back asleep. I want to drink in all the sleep I can. I want to stay in bed. Tom's arms are tight around my body. It makes me flash back to last night when he carried me to my room as if I weighed nothing. It makes my body go numb.

I also think of the people standing outside my flat buzzing my door. I think of Tom's frustration when he saw them outside. I think of my frustration when we had to stop what we were doing so he could take care of it. Take care of it. My Mob Boss. I hate that I think it's hot that he takes care of me. I've never been the kind of girl who wanted a man to take care of her. Now, the idea isn't so bad. Especially when he takes me to Rome for my birthday dinner.

My birthday.

My eyes finally flutter open, met with the morning sun filtering into my room. Tom is holding me so tight, that I can't even reach over to grab my phone to check the time. He snores lightly into the back of my neck and I could just stay here forever.

My phone buzzing on the nightstand destroys my wishes. I pull away from Tom as gently as I can and I hear him groan in his sleep as my body leaves contact with his shirtless torso. I rub his arm lightly and grab my phone from the table. The caller I.D. reads Jane's name. She's always the first person to call me on my birthday. I also glance at the time: 8:00 AM. Bold of her to be calling me so early.

"Little early to be calling on my birthday, isn't it?" I whisper when I answer. I don't want to wake Tom. He was up late.

"Why are you whispering?" She asks. She knows why. I roll out of bed and walk into my living room so I can talk at a normal volume.

"Tom's still sleeping."

"Oh, a little birthday sleepover, huh?" I can hear her smirking. "Hope I didn't wake you. Happy birthday."

"You didn't. Thank you." I sit on my couch and fiddle with Tom's dress shirt from last night. Flashbacks fill my mind. I shake my head to get them out of my head so I can focus on what Jane is saying.

"So? Where did he take you?" This is Jane's dream. I'm dating a rich movie star. I can't blame her though, it's pretty awesome.

"Rome."

"R-Rome?" She stammers. "He took you to ROME?"

I'm laughing. "Yes. Flew me in a private plane and everything. It was literally amazing."

"Y/N. That is so romantic," she sighs. "All the pictures of you two are literally everywhere."

"Yeah, I know," I turn my head to look at my bedroom door, which is cracked open enough for me to see that Tom is still asleep. "There were guys outside my flat last night. Tom was pretty angry. He was up all night on the phone with someone."

"That is so scary." She's quiet for a minute. "He really cares about you, ya know."

"Oh, I know." We both giggle. "What can I do to help prepare for today?"

"Nothing. You just show up with your hot boyfriend and look pretty."

"He's not my boyfriend." I wish he was.

"Not yet!" She giggles. "I'll see you later. Happy birthday. I love you."

"I love you, too."

I hang up and begin to answer my birthday texts and Instagram messages/posts. Somehow, Tom's fans know it's my birthday and they've already begun sending me messages and posting pictures. It's so sweet.