FORTY

Tom

I'm ignoring the accidental I love you from yesterday. I already have too much going on today for me to worry about that. I know I'm going to have to talk about the pictures. I know I'm going to have to explain why we haven't been seen together in months. I'm going to be brief. I'm going to give them the answers they need. I will not go further. I have a movie to talk about and some upcoming projects to promote. Y/N isn't here, so I will not be speaking for her. I won't be making that mistake again.

I'm wearing a white collared shirt and a navy blue blazer on top. No tie, obviously. No pants, either. Obviously. I'm sure Jimmy Fallon won't mind. He never does. I sit in front of my filming set up with 20 minutes before my interview and press the call button next to Y/N's name on my phone.

"Hi," she answers after one ring. She sounds nervous.

"Hi."

"How are you feeling?" I can hear her holding her breath.

"I'm fine, I guess." Silence. "I promise I won't give details. I would never do that. In fact, I'm gonna talk you up."

"Is that so?" She giggles.

"Yep. Gonna tell everyone how smart and pretty you are."

"Don't forget witty."

"And humble." I laugh.

"I trust you." The words are like liquid gold to my ears.

"I'm glad. Can I take you out for an early birthday dinner tonight?"

"You absolutely can." I can hear the smile. "I can't believe my birthday is tomorrow. I can't believe Jane won't let me help her plan this party."

"Sounds like Jane." We both laugh. "I've gotta get on this call. I'll pick you up later."

"Okay. Good luck."

"Thanks. Bye."

"Bye."

Seems that I am capable of not accidentally saying I love you every time I say goodbye to her. I hear my zoom call ding with a 5 minute warning message. I close and lock my office door, sitting in my chair as the minutes tick down to my demise. I know it won't be terrible. I just hate having to talk about this.

"Tom! So nice to see you on the computer screen!" Jimmy laughs.

"You too, mate." I wish Y/N was here. "It's been far too long."

When I'm finally done with the interview I feel like I've aged 10 years. I think I said enough to give some kind of insight into what's going on, but I kept enough to myself that our relationship – whatever it is – stays private. I'm just glad I wasn't asked about where we were all summer. That would have had to be deflected for sure.

Now I can focus on taking Y/N out for her birthday dinner. My eyes flick toward my desk drawer, knowing the present I bought her months ago is sitting in there. I consider whether or not I should actually give it to her. It's not... too flashy, but I know she's going to scold me for getting her something expensive. Though, when she hears my idea for dinner, she may be more inclined to scold me about that. I mean, she's turning 27. That calls for a big celebration. Bigger than Jane's sure-to-be banger of a birthday party she's throwing tomorrow.

I pull the small gift box out of my drawer and open it. The small floral necklace I purchased months ago looks the exact same as it did when I bought it in the store. It's nothing fancy, just a small gold peony on a short chain. I'm putting this flower knowledge to good use. I decide, fuck it, and begin my search for a gift bag to stick the box in. I know my mom has a whole collection of them in there somewhere...

I finally find a small bag to do the job. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just something to hold the gift.

I know I'm going to need to bring it up.

Like, obviously I still love her. 6 months doesn't just erase love like that. I just hope she feels the same way.

I tap on my phone a few times and press the facetime button next to Y/N's name.

"How many followers should I expect to gain once the interview airs?" She's in her bathroom doing her makeup. She has little dots of skin-colored product all over her face.

"Oh, thousands at least." She chuckles and taps a sponge all over her face. "Getting done up for me?"

"I never get done up for men." She retorts. "I've gotta look good in my paparazzi photos, don't I?"

"Ha. I guess so." The angle she has me at allows me to see her neck more clearly. She has freckles on her neck, too. Her skin is exquisite. My mouth is dry.

"Can I get any information on where we're going?" She leans on her counter with her elbows. Her eyes are so blue right now.

"You in the mood for some Italian?" I smirk and she raises an eyebrow. She sprays something onto her face and fans herself with her hands.

"Always... what is that mischievous look for?" She's examining herself in the mirror.

"You look beautiful, as always." She looks back at her phone, clearly waiting for my response to the question I'm avoiding. "The place I have in mind is just a little far, that's all. I'll come get you in 10."

"So, the vibe of this place is dress shirt and suit jacket?"

"Yep. So wear your prettiest, skimpiest dress." She rolls her eyes and picks her phone up, traveling to her bedroom.

"You wish." She has no idea.

"Oh, by the way, you have a passport, right?"

"Um... yes... Why?" She's laid the phone on her bed and she's hovering over it as she digs through her clothes. I can tell that she's just wearing her bra. It makes me shiver.

"No reason. See you soon."

I pull on my trousers and spray on some cologne before grabbing my car keys and Y/N's present. I have some phone calls to make.