TWENTY-FOUR

Y/N

"You're WHAT?" Jane screams into my ear on the other line. I haven't told anyone about Tom and me going on our dates. If I'm honest, I'm still convinced we're going to fall out again.

"I'm going to the GQ party with Tom tomorrow." I'm trying to sound casual about this, but it's clear that Jane is not.

"Y/N! This is amazing!" She's squealing. She's actually squealing. This is why I didn't want to say anything. If the pictures of the party tomorrow wouldn't be literally everywhere, I'd have kept this a secret, too. "Do you know what he's wearing? I have the perfect dress in mind!"

"Law is dressing us."

"Oh, my God. You're such a movie star's girlfriend!!"

"I'm not Tom's girlfriend, Jane."

"You might as well be. It's so obvious how you two feel about each other." I guess I should mention that I haven't told her about the whole Tom-telling-me-he-loves-me thing. Which, in my defense, I clearly didn't need to tell her about. "You looooove him."

"You're so annoying," I laugh. "I do not looooove him," I say, mocking her inflection. "Anyway, I'm also supposed to be calling you to ask if you want to get drinks for Tom's birthday tonight."

"Duh!"

"Great. And, uh, please be cool about me being Tom's date for tomorrow. I don't want this to be a big deal."

"Sure, whatever. See you later."

I hang up with Jane and already feel exhausted. I know she's just excited, but I really don't want this to be a big deal. I feel like if I just pretend like it's no big deal, when it inevitably ends poorly, it won't hurt as bad. Is that setting me up for failure? Maybe. Will I change my process? No.

I'm still debating what or how or IF I post something for Tom's birthday. Everything I post is scrutinized now that we've been rumored to be together. Which is, again, not totally untrue. I want to post something, but I just don't know how sentimental to get. I decide to start with a birthday text.

Y/N

Happy birthday! Only a little happy you were born. See you for drinks later. :)

Tommy

Very funny. Thank you, darling. Would you like me to pick you up?

Y/N

Why don't you just park here and we'll walk over?

Tommy

Sure. See you later :)

I decide, fuck it, and pull up a picture I took of the faces-squished-together polaroid I gave to Tom at his birthday party and use that to post for his birthday. It's a sweet picture, it's not from any recent interactions, and it doesn't insinuate any type of romantic relationship.

Happy birthday, Tommy. Wanna name some constellations later?

Perfectly cute. He'll love it. Can't wait for the post to be dissected by his fans. Honestly, though, I do kind of enjoy the edits they make of us. I think I'm just impressed by their skills.

I'm actively ignoring the growing pit in my stomach in regard to the party tomorrow. I've never been to an event with Tom – he's brought both Ben and Jane to events before – and I really don't know what to expect. I feel like I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb. How crazy do these parties get? Do I need to prepare to see some wild celebrity stuff? Oh, God, what if someone offers me coke? Oh, GOD, what if Tom does coke? I'm very ill-prepared for this.