THIRTY-EIGHT

Tom

I don't know what happened in the past few days, but Y/N and I are actually doing well. We've taken care of all the details regarding the incident the other night, and she seems to be doing better now. I spent literally all day at her flat yesterday and it was actually really nice. We caught up on the past six months and didn't fight one time. Low bar, but it was incredible. I missed her so much.

Things went well enough that she invited me to the faculty holiday party at her work today. It may have something to do with her still feeling nervous about being in large crowds involving alcohol, but I'll take it. I know word will get around to the internet about Y/N and me hanging out again, but this time it's different for one sole reason: I don't intend on letting her go.

I walk up to her front door and pull out my keys, sifting through my collection to find hers. She gave me a spare key to her flat yesterday so I would stop complaining about her door always being open. I turn the handle and walk inside, and I instantly hear Y/N's heels clacking around her floor. She's pacing.

"Y/N?" I lock the door behind me and walk inside as her footsteps fast approach me. She's wearing a red sweater that is tucked into her trousers. Her heeled boots give her at least two inches of added height – officially surpassing me. Not that I care. She looks incredible. "Very festive. What's with the pacing?" I try not to smile too hard at the bouquet of peonies on her kitchen counter.

"Was just lost in thought." She smiles. She brushes her hair behind her shoulders and I catch a glimpse of her newly manicured nails.

"Your nails look nice," I smirk. I sent her to get her nails done yesterday. All part of the plan.

"Thank you. And thank you for paying for it. You know you don't have to do that." She rolls her eyes but a smile tugs at her mouth.

"Well, I think considering everything, I'm allowed to pay for your manicures."

"Fair enough. Ready to go?"

"Yes."

Y/N grabs her purse and I turn around to take her coat off her coat hook. She holds her hand out but I shake my head slightly and open it up for her to place her arms inside. I see her shake her head before she turns around to allow me to put her coat on, shoving her hand in the back of the coat to pull her hair out. The movement sends a wave of her scent in my direction. She smells of something flowery and light. It makes my head feel fuzzy.

"I'm nervous," Y/N says as I park the car. "Really, I'm nervous that people are gonna be talking about me bringing you."

"I mean, that's expected. You've just gotta be fine with it."

"I just don't want any issues for you." She says. "There have been so many rumors about us all summer and now that they're finally dying down..."

"Oh, don't worry about that. I couldn't care less about that. I'm just glad to be here with you." She smiles softly and nods her head. "We don't have to go."

"No, I want to. Let's go."

I'm recognized here as the guy in the pictures in Y/N's office. Some of her coworkers actually recognize me, but it's a breath of fresh air when nobody really cares who I am outside of being Y/N's date to this party. Am I her date? Is this a bring-a-date kind of event? Martin brought Caleb. I guess it makes sense that he'd bring his husband. I'm way overthinking this. I'm just here with Y/N at her work holiday party. It's not that deep.

"Tom! I didn't think we'd be seeing you today." Martin shakes my hand and winks at Y/N.

"Looks like I made the cut." Caleb appears with drinks for both me and Y/N.