103. Welcome back... Daemon

Începe de la început

"Why wasn't I gotten sooner?" Davina demanded moving down the halls.

+

''Father?'' Rhaenyra asked approached his bed Viserys lay with wheezing breaths in his lungs.

" Who goes there?" Viserys questioned disoriented.

"Father. It's me, my King." Rhaenyra said sitting beside him on the bed. ''Rhaenyra.'

''Oh... Oh.'' Viserys answered opening his eyes

''I'm here with Daemon.'' Rhaenyra went on

''Daemon? Daemon?'' Viserys said recognizing the name but finding it hard to place it. ''Daemon.'' He agreed his brother. Viserys wheezed again. 'Help me up.'' With a groan Rhaenyra got him sitting up in bed his pillows propped up behind him.

''It has been so long.'' Viserys said with a heavy breath.

''The Sea Snake has taken a grave wound in battle in the Step stones."

''When?' Viserys questioned

''We won that war years ago.' Daemon reminded him

''No.'' Viserys said confused.

''The Triarchy is resurgent. The fighting is anew. And there is a p... There is a petition to decide upon the succession of Driftmark and the heir to the Driftwood Throne.'' Rhaenyra informed him and Viserys sighed deeply.

"Petitions? Davina and Otto... they see to all that business now." Viserys remarked.

'' No, brother, listen to me. You are to affirm your position for Lucerys to be Corlys Velaryon's successor." Daemon told him as the door swung open.

''Has something happened to Lord Corlys?'' Viserys questioned and Rhaenyra turned at the sound of her babies babbling behind them.

''Father... there's someone we wish to introduce you to. '' Rhaenyra told him as he counited with his labored breathing before them. He didn't look like a king anymore. His face weathered his eye gone, he was weak and fading quickly.

''Daemon.''

''Brother.'' Daemon answered softly.

''Who is that?' Viserys questioned looking to the silver haired babe before him

''Father... this is Aegon."

"Aegon." Viserys said through an exhale.

"And this... is Viserys." Rhaenyra told him

" Ah... Viserys. Oh." Viserys choked out a laugh. ''Now that is a name fit for a king.'' He laughed out but soon started coughing, the children were scared of his face. ''Oh... Oh, oh... Oh, I'm sorry.' Viserys said as the babies started crying. ''Oh, I'm sorry. I-I'm sorry.'' Viserys repeated. ''I'm so... Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sor... Please.'' Viserys took a heavy breath and mouthed. ''My tea... My tea.''

''What tea? This?'' Rhaenyra asked looking down at it.

''Yes. Yes. Yes.'' Viserys agreed taking a long sip as the children kept screaming.

+

"Visenya love..." Davina peeked in.

"Mama." She whimpered wiping at her lip.

"My babies are sick you get me immediately, no hesitation of time or day or meetings, they come first." Davina hissed as she hugged Visenya to her. "Honey you not feeling well?"

"My stomach is in knots." Visenya told her.

"Get the grand maester, some of the curcumin powder for the fever, astragalus root, sarsaparilla as well." Davina instructed. "I learned a thing or two from your uncle Stephen." Davina whispered kissing her forehead. "Are any of my other babies sick?"

"No your grace." Erryk answered.

"Mama is Visenya okay?" Baelon asked pushing open the door.

"Just a flu it seems, go on love, I don't want you to get sick" Davina requested.

"Are Luke and Jace here?" Baelon asked. "I saw the carriages."

"Probably saying hello to Aemond." Davina mused.

+

''He looks like a different person. I believe we should also consult Maester Gerardys. Perhaps if he could see the King, he'd suggest a different..."Rhaenyra began but the door opened and Davina approached.

'Rhaenyra. Daemon.'' Davina remarked.

''Hm.' Daemon chuckled his eyes roaming her.

''It has been so long since we were granted the... joy of your presence.'' Davina remarked stiffly.

''Indeed, Your Grace.'' Rhaenyra agreed

''Though not long enough to merit a greeting upon our arrival.'' Daemon added smugly.

"I care for my children, unlike you Daemon who lets them run home to kings landing unnoticed for days at a time." Davina countered and Rhaenyra grit her teeth. "You brought the boys didn't you? I do adore them."

"And a few new ones." Daemon added but Davina wasn't falling for his games anymore.

''I'm sure the Queen had pressing business, my love." Rhaenyra offered and Davina wanted to gag. My love. She took a deep breath as she focused on them. ''What can either of us know of ruling a kingdom?'' Rhaenyra offered kindly.

''I do not rule, as you well know.'' Davina told them 'The hand and I are mere stewards of the King's will and wisdom.''

''And how exactly is that wisdom expressed... hm? In blinks and wheezes? I'd be surprised if he could remember his own name. Or if you could.'' Daemon remarked snidely.

'Viserys's condition has worsened since you saw him last.'' Davina informed them stiffly.

''Hah.'' Daemon spat

'He is in considerable pain, constantly.'' Davina went on ''On the advice of the maesters...''

''Ah, the maesters. Of course. It is they who keep him... addled on milk of the poppy while the High towers warm his throne.'' Rhaenyra added stiffly and Davina let out a hot breath

''Rhaenyra, if you would see him without it, almost blind with suffering.'' Davina informed them. "I'm doing this to help him. To ease his pains. You two ran off. If you cared about this family at all you would have used your head all those years ago and not your cunt."

''Oh, Davina, I have no doubt it was... an act of the purest mercy, but tell me, for the King's suffering, did the maesters also prescribe the removal of Targaryen heraldry and the installation in its stead of various statues and stars?'' Daemon mocked and Davina wanted to snap his neck.

''You may not recall while you were out whoring. But viserys was always a story teller. He told me many a stories of the stars and their constellations." Davina informed him "a higher power out there. Viserys likes it.''

''And on the morrow, which authority will sit in judgment of my son's claim on his own inheritance?'' Rhaenyra asked

''That would be mine... and the Hand's.'' Davina informed them. Gods she hated them more and more with every heart beat.

'Ah." Daemon answered glaring back at her.

''But be assured, the hand is just and commends me to forget the accusations you have hurled in this room today.'' Davina told them. "But I was never good at following directions."