64. Where else Would I Be?

With a labored breath Viserys stepped out of the carriage only to collapse to the ground.

''Fetch the Maester!'' Harrold shouted.

''Get back.'' Lyonel demanded.

''Get Mellos! Get back!'' Harrold demanded.

'Prepare the crucible. We'll need leeches.'' Mellos remarked.

Davina lay her back against the cold ground puff the magic dragon in her head as Aegon drummed along her stomach and Alyssa napped. Daemon's wife was dead. After all this fucking time. Daemon did it and for what? For who? Himself. Obviously he did it for his own personal reasons because he was Daemon and he had the face of a God, the personality of the devil and an emotional rage of a fucking spoon. Davina closed her eyes trying to calm herself when she heard foot falls in the hallway. They were back.

Her mind shifted to what Larys had said. The tea from Maester Mellos. The Tea. The Tea... That Tea... who was she fucking if not Daemon? Why not tell her? Davina was all for fun why hide it? Davina sighed as she shouted to the door.

"Harwin!" Davina whined and the door opened. "Get Criston Cole."

"Right away your grace."

"Harwin." Davina snapped. He popped his head back in.

"Right away Davina." He corrected and she gave him a thumbs up and he headed out again.

''Ser Criston... you've been summoned.''

''I left the Princess just minutes ago.'' Criston countered

''Not the Princess, ser. The Queen.'' Harwin corrected.

"Ser Criston, Your Grace." A handmaiden said as the door swung open, Criston took cautious steps into the queens chambers.

''That will be all.'' Davina agreed still laying on the ground she looked over to Criston. ''I fear I must question you on a, on a delicate matter, Criston.'' Davina said getting up and sitting on a proper chair he watched her cautiously.

''I am your servant as always, my Queen.''

''It concerns our dear Princess Rhaenyra. Please.'' Davina pat the spot next to her and waited for him to sit next to her. "Sit your ass down Cole." Davina demanded, hesitantly he removed his sword from his hip and sat stiffly next to her.

''You are her sworn protector and rightly loyal to her.'' Davina reminded him.

''I am.'' Criston agreed nervously.

''The night of Daemon's return... there's been a rumor... a lapse of morals that may have occurred between..." Davina sighed. "You need me to say it?" Davina questioned directly, she wasn't good at beating around the bush. She burned the fucking bush. Criston stared back at her nervously. "Did you fuck Rhaenyra?" Criston swallowed the lump in throat before speaking.

''It happened, Your Grace. The sin you allude to. I have committed it. At her instigation, it is true, but that should... It is no excuse.' Criston agreed as he stood up. ''My oath has been broken. I have dishonored myself. I deserve no consideration. But if... as a clement Queen, you are inclined to pity... I would ask only this... that rather than gelding me and having me tortured... you would sentence me mercifully to death.'' Criston offered.

'Death?" Davina questioned. "You think me so cruel?" Davina chuckled as she stood up and moved back to the ground by Aegon. ''You may go.'' Davina informed him and he stared back at her but she seemed content with his answer. "Fuck off Criston." Davina told him calmly and he nodded heading out.

+

''Rest now, Your Grace. I will bring the leeches.'' Mello said as Viserys lay back exhausted and weak.

''If I may, Grand Maester, I took the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more... effective.'' Maester Orwyle offered.

''That will not be necessary, Orwyle.'' Mellos assured ''The leechings have always brought His Grace relief." He assured as he headed out.

''To help him sleep.'' Orwyle offered the bottle popping the top to Lyonel.

''Where's the Queen? Where is Davina.''

''I was given to understand that she is otherwise occupied, Your Grace.''

"Occupied?" Viserys questioned nervously. "Is she still in the palace?"

"I believe so your grace." Lyonel said nervously as Viserys sighed tipping back in his chair.

''Will I be remembered as a good king, Lyonel?'' Viserys said with a sigh.

''Your Grace?''

''What will they say of me when the histories are written? I have neither fought nor conquered, nor suffered any great defeat.'' Viserys remarked.

''Some might call that good fortune.''

''It hardly makes a good song, does it? To be sung at feasts in a hundred years... five hundred.'' Viserys said pathetically.

''You have carried King Jaehaerys's legacy. And kept the realm strong.'' Lyonel corrected but his answer didn't satisfy Viserys. ''Is it not better to live in peace than to have songs sung after you are dead?''

'Perhaps. But there is a part of me wishes I'd been tested. I often think that in the crucible, I may have been forged a different man.''

'' Many that are tested, only wish to have been spared it. ''

''Another lord might assure me that I would rise like Aegon the Conqueror given the chance.'' Viserys remarked bitterly.

''Your Grace, that is... You're right. You're right... as always." Lyonel told him.

''It is perhaps best not to know.'' Viserys countered drinking the potion as the door swung open.

"You don't think to tell me you collapsed?" Davina spat kicking the door closed. "What the fuck Viserys?"

"So loud my love." Viserys told her as she took the vial from his hand.

"What's this?" Davina questioned looking to Lyonel.

"To help him sleep your grace." Lyonel answered.

"What the fuck happened?" Davina asked still looking to Lyonel.

"I'm right here and I can tell you I was just dehydrated and tired from the journey, it was nothing." Viserys assured.

"Are you lying to me?" Davina asked as he ran his fingers through her hair.

"I'm fine, just tired my love."

"Out Lyonel." Davina said softly.

"Of course your grace." Lyonel agreed heading out.

"You going to sleep in the chair or you want to get into bed?" Davina questioned.

"Stay with me." Viserys said pitifully.

"What really happened?" Davina asked as she helped him up.

"I wasn't feeling well." Viserys told her. "The journey was rough, the seas were bad with the storm, it was too much, I didn't eat enough carrot cake." Viserys remarked and Davina chuckled.

"Vis..."

"I wanted to talk to." Viserys said as she got him situated.

"We are talking." Davina replied with a smirk.

"Daemon's wife the lady Rhae-'

'Died. I heard." Davina agreed laying down next to him.

"I wanted to be here when you heard." Viserys remarked his eyes feeling heavy as she snuggled into him.

"I had Aegon and Alyssa to keep me company through the news." Davina told him his fingers moved slowly over her back.

"I'm glad you are here."

"Where else would I be?" Davina countered kissing him gently.