Chapter 26 Take Care

Kiara P.O.V.

Yet the question of why Daksh is here still occupied my mind. What got him finally visiting the store today?

~~~~

"Hey!" I awkwardly try to start a conversation.

I want to know what he is doing here after all.

However, my attempt to start a conversation went into a gutter when he acknowledged it with a mere nod; correction - his signature 'I-don't-care-about-your-hey' nod!

His eyes roam around the whole store like a curious child who wants to know what is what. But he didn't ask it aloud, it seems like he knows how to keep his curiosity in check.

Preparing myself for another ignorance, I try again to get something out of him, "So, what are you doing here?"

If he doesn't want to beat around the bush by having small talks then, why would I even try that? He and his ignorant personality can go to hell for all I care.

He finally honours me by giving me his full attention, "Umm, I was here to meet Swati. I went to the bakery but found out that she went out of town to attend some function."

Yeah, I know, she went to her friend's birthday party. Apparently, they decided to go on a Friends trip. It's cool though. I wonder why she didn't tell him about the same?

"It still doesn't answer my question," he looks at me weirdly as if I said something wrong. I am just trying to be direct like he prefers.

Flattening his already wrinkle-free suit jacket, he replies, "I was here to drop Zen off as I have an important meeting to attend. Postponing it is not an option for me. I thought if Swati is not here, he can stay with you here till I come back. Can you take care of him?"

I looked at him with an open mouth.

No, not because he didn't add 'please' at the end when he is clearly asking for the favor. I mean, come on, this guy probably doesn't know the existence of this word.

I am surprised that he is willingly leaving Cutie with me for the very first time. That's progress.

"You want to leave him with me? Me? Like really? Last time I checked, you don't like me near your son," I can't help but mock him. How can I let go of such a good chance to do so?

"I don't have any other option. I am already here. Zen's nanny is on holiday, and I can't go back to my parents to drop him off. I will be super late in that case. That leaves you. No matter what I think about your and Zen's weird connection, one thing I am sure of is you adore my son. I know you will keep him safe."

Oh my, He is giving one shock after another today! Such sweet words left his mouth?

Did he just openly and clearly say what he feels and thinks? Can you believe this?

However, I am a little disappointed. I am just the last option for him.

Composing myself, I looked at him before replying, "Wow! You surprise me, Mr. Malhotra, with your words. I am glad to know that you trust me with your son."

Humming in response, he walks towards the desk where I was previously working before they came. The desk was nothing but a pure mess. Scissors, glue, craft papers, decorative stuff, everything was just scattered around there.

I am an organized person, but when I work, I create a whole lot of mess around me.

We have a separate room area in the store itself as our working space. It's nothing big, just a cozy space to get lost in the crafting world. We generally work there only while the sales staff remains in the store to attend to customers.

Nevertheless, since it's early today and the staff hasn't arrived, I decided to work on the outside desk in case any customers arrive early.

Before returning my attention to the man who is busy exploring my messy desk, I glance towards Zen to ensure he is okay.

When I stand by his side, he looks at me and asks, "You seem to be occupied with your stuff. Are you sure you will be fine with looking after Zen with so much work in your hand?"

"Yes, I will be. Besides, it won't be the first time we spend time together while I work side-by-side. Swati often leaves him here with me. Cutie is no trouble. See, how calmly he is busy doing his drawing over there," I try to assure him whilst pointing at Zen, who has no idea what we are talking about.

"Mmm-hmm. So, all this while Swati stubbornly took Zen with her, just to leave him with you! I see," It doesn't seem like he is talking to me based on his tone. Lost in his thoughts, he adds, "Anyway, looking at all this mess, I guess your store is doing great?"

"Yeah, it is. Swati spent a lot of time doing marketing. With having a board of the 'Gift with Love' outside the bakery to hand out the card to every customer - she personally made sure that we receive at least 20-30 orders for the first month," Her determination to make things work is impossible not to admire. She puts her heart and mind fully into whatever she does. "And with Diwali and Karwa chauth coming up, we unexpectedly got orders way more than we expected. This mess is for those orders and one special order," I quickly add.

A/N - Diwali and Karwa chauth are Indian Big Festivals - to know more about the same, you can see the video I attached at the start of the chapter.

"Okay, Mmm-hmm," he replies distractingly.

Realizing what he said unknowingly, I laughed out loud. His 'Okay, Mmm-hmm' already caused enough teasing, and he is still using it.

Seeing me laugh out of nowhere like a crazy person, he snaps, "What! I didn't say it intentionally. It comes naturally to me. It's because of you that those morons are irritating me with this 'Okay, Mmm-hmm' on a constant basis!"

I laugh again at his annoyance. He brought this himself upon him. He has no right to complain now.

"Tiara, look what I made!" Zen's voice broke our little baseless banter. I make my way to Cutie and settle beside him on the floor, cross-legged. Whenever he is here, he never sits on the chair and draws. Instead, he prefers to sit on the floor.

I was admiring the drawing he made when I heard another voice, "He is becoming really good at this."

I didn't realize when the great Mr. Malhotra, MD came and sat with us on the floor as well.

The appreciation he showed for Zen reminded me of what I wanted to discuss with him - enrolling Cutie in a drawing class. Although, I am not sure if it is the right moment to talk about this or not.

"Okay, I am getting late for the meeting. I should get going. Take care of him. I will be back by evening," Saying this, he gets up after giving Zen a forehead kiss.

Then he leaves the store, giving me one final glance.

No Please, no thank you and no bye whatsoever.

Seriously, what's wrong with this guy!!

~~~~

Hello, my Lovely Readers!

Happy Dhanteras to you all and also Happy Diwali in advance.

So, did you like my early Diwali surprise for you? I hope you did. Let me know in the comments what you liked the most in today's update.

I have another surprise for you, not promising multiple updates a week. I will be updating once a week. Also, right now I can't tell you what day I'll be updating. But, I will try my best to give you guys at least one update every week. What do you think about it?

At last, I am overwhelmed by seeing so many people adding my book to their reading lists. Thank you so much!! It means a lot to me! Keep supporting.

And thank you so much, guys, for being patient with me and my book.

Do vote and comment if you liked this chapter.

I would love to read your views and feedback.

Connect with me on Instagram: random_hearttalks

Surbhi ✍️