Bonus Chapter: Three

Susan's POV

I ask, fully dressed, but Achilles seems to have difficulty buttoning up his shirt. Frowning, I walk toward where he's standing and help him to button his shirt up.

"Why are you suddenly shaky?" I ask.

Achilles shakes his head, and a lock of his hair falls on his forehead. I push his hair back to its normal position and kiss his lip before leaning back to look at my beautiful husband.

He's dressed in a dark shirt, and slacks cling to his long powerful legs. It's not tucked in. Just the way I like it. Patting his chest, I kiss him again.

"You're nervous, babe," I say to him. "I can see that you are."

Achilles sighs and picks up his perfume bottle from the vanity table behind me. "Yes, I am. What if your mother threatens me and decides to send me off without you? What if she dislikes me? What if—"

But I place a hand on his lip to shut him up. "Shh. It's okay, Achilles. My mother isn't going to do anything funny. Yes, she might be strict and all that. I think she'll like you after a while,"

Achilles sighs and nods. "Alright. I'll be very nice and also respect myself,"

I pat his cheek in delight, and we both go outside the house.

The driver to my mum's home is silent. Achilles decided that he wanted to play some music, and I let him. I know he's nervous, so I'll let him do whatever he wants to make him feel comfortable. By the way, I feel a bit sick, but I know it's pregnancy. If I tell Achilles how I'm feeling right now, he's likely going to suggest we drive back and take a rest.

"Wow, you lived in a beautiful place," Achilles says as he drives into the wooden gates of our cottage.

The cottage is painted bright yellow with white trimmings, and the lawns are scattered with low-growing shrubs. My mother's vases already have blooming flowers of different colors which adds a beautiful aesthetic to their surroundings.

Achilles kills his engine, and we both step out. By now, I feel sicker than I was moments ago, and I blame it on motion sickness.

Achilles comes towards me and takes my hand. "I've always told you to let me open the car for you. You're being so stubborn,"

"Well, I'll do whatever pleases me,"

Achilles shakes his head, and we both proceed onto the porch steps. The door is unlocked, and I know why because my mother never leaves her windows open when the door is locked.

But I raise my hand and knock anyway. She's someone who loves politeness and basic etiquette, and with the way things are going, I want her to be in a good mood.

So I knock.

"I'm coming!" Comes a few seconds after.

I notice that Achilles' hands are sweaty. I smile at him. The door opens, and my mum steps out. She's dressed in grey overalls, and her hands are covered in mittens. I know she's cooking a lot today because I already told her I was going to be bringing my fiance over. Though she's met him, I don't think they established a good relationship. I want to change that today.

"Good afternoon, mum," I greet her chirpily.

She smiles at me but immediately, her eyes hit Achilles, and her smile disappears.

"You look good, ma'am," Achilles compliments awkwardly.

But my mother scoffs and gestures to us to go in. As she walks, she says, "We both know that's not true. I don't look good,"

Achilles nods and bends toward me. "She walks like you. Even with those overalls, she walks gracefully,"

"I heard you," My mother said aloud, and I tried so hard not to burst into laughter.

I've not been here for a few months, but it is still as cozy as it always was, even while I was away at college. The sweet aroma of pie and chicken soup wafts into the living room.

"Make yourself comfortable, young man," My mother says to Achilles. But she looks at me. "Follow me to the kitchen, young woman,"

James, my younger brother, steps out of his room, and immediately he sees me, he wraps his arms around me in delight. "Susan! You never return home!"

Ruffling his hair, I plant a kiss on his forehead. "I'm sorry, I don't. But firstly, I want you to meet my fiance,"

My mother was addressing me as a young woman, has me looking at her weirdly.

As soon as we're in the kitchen, she folds her hand and gives me a stern look, "You're pregnant, aren't you?"

I am short of words, but when she pulls me into a hug, I am relieved. "This is weird,"

"What?"

"You hugging me after discovering I'm pregnant is weird,"

"I'll have a grandchild, and I'm happy about it. I don't think it's weird, honey."

I smile at her. "I thought you were going to rage and all. I was nervous,"

"Well, I think it's your husband-to-be. He's the nervous one. But I like him. He's responsible,"

"Why did you act like you don't like him?"

My mother shrugs. "He's too good to be true. Every man I've been with in the past is shitty. But he's different, and I'm being careful,"

I lean over to hug my mother again. But I beg her to be a bit nicer to Achilles, which she agrees to do. We had a fun dinner as we all talked about many things. I am happy that Achilles loosens up. Even James gets to participate, and that way, Achilles and my baby brother have a man-to-man bond.

But it all goes south when I finish my meal and try to stand on my feet. I feel dizziness wash over me, and in no time, I am on the floor.

When I open my eyes, I am met with bright light. I shut my eyes again and open them slowly till I am accustomed to the light.

Four pairs of eyes are looking down at me. I don't recognize their faces till I am fully accustomed to the whole place.

Achilles, my mother, Karanos and Jemmah are all looking at me. When I try to sit up, they all hold me up to sit correctly. Smiling, I thank them.

Jemmah is the first person I look at. "You're pregnant, bitch?"

Jemmah bursts into laughter. "We'll talk about it."

"Well, I have no patience," Then I turn to my mother, my fiance, and his friend. "Y'all can leave. I want to talk to Jemmah,"

"But honey, we just came," My mother says in a worried tone. I give her a reassuring look, and they all excuse me.

Jemmah is dressed in an oversized gown, and I frown. "You're not even showing any bump. What's with the maternity gown?"

Jemmah shrugs and sits on the edge of my bed. "Karanos has been teasing me about my pregnancy, so I showed him that I could do worse. You needed to see his face when I stepped out of the closet dressed this way," We both share a laugh.

"Mind telling me what caused your breakup with Karanos in the first place? Achilles has refused to tell me," Susan asks, and I give her a skeptical look.

Sighing, I tell her everything. I explain why I broke up with Karanos, and she tells me she understands.

"It's good now, though. You're back together with him."

I nod. "Yes, I am,"  I reply to her.

Susan covers her face. "Achilles is taking me to his parents, and I am petrified,"

"Why?" I ask, frowning.

"Achilles is not on good terms with his friend, and that has me wondering if it's going to go down well,"

Placing my hand on her arm, I rub it comfortingly. "You're going to do just great. If you need backup, I'm always here."

Susan gives me a suspicious look, and we both laugh, knowing fully what I mean by a backup. Everyone returns to the room, and Karanos gives me an annoyed look which makes me laugh. I know he's mad because I wore this dress but did I care?