Bonus Chapter: Two

Jemmah's POV

Three days later.

Greece.

I don't know why Karanos wants us to drive to his parent's home. I already told him I'm feeling quite sick, but he's bent on doing what he wants.

"Can we stop by the hospital before seeing your parents, babe?" I ask as we almost get to the city clinic.

The flight we took last night messed with my rhythm, making me highly uncomfortable.

Karanos sighs and finally agrees. As he turns at the intersection, he says, "Baby, we all know it's your pregnancy and nothing else. We even got a book to guide us through your trimesters. Isn't that enough? My mum doesn't like latecomers,"

I frown at him. "Mummy's boy?"

I notice Kal's jaw shift. I know he's trying to react calmly to what I just said. Since my pregnancy, he has been considerate, and I find it weird.

"Babe, you know that's not true. I love my mother, but I don't suck up to her,"

"But you sure look like you're doing so!" I say to him,

Karanos visibly blows out a breath. "No, I am not! That's how we all are in our family. We have respect for our parents. That's why we always honor their invitations according to time."

Slowly, I nod. He's almost at the hospital, but I decide I'm stressing him out. "Alright then. We can go to your parent's house. Don't worry about the clinic,"

Karanos might just burst into tears right now because his jaw is so tight that I can see his veins pop out of his temple.

"As you wish, baby," He says in a low tone.

I want to apologize to him. I can't bring myself to. So the whole drive is filled with silence.

I have never been to Karanos' parents' home. It's a monstrous building with large acres of land as a space. From the gates, I can see into the house.

There's a driveway for cars to pass through. Wide enough for two vehicles to drive through at the same time and the point that the driveway curves like a forked snake tongue, there's a fountain situated in the middle.

Whoever sculpted this statue of Zeus did his best, and I ponder how much the sculpture must have charged. Niko is more prosperous than I thought.

From Zeus' thunderbolt rod, water streams out and pours into the fountain in a rush.

Karanos, once he gets to the gate, winds down his glass and pokes his head out. Immediately, the gates are opened, and he drives in.

I lean back against my seat and shut my eyes for a few minutes. I am so tired, and all I want to do right now is find a room in that house and take a fucking nap. But I know that's not going to happen.

The Nikolaous are waiting for us outside their wide porch, and Linda is smiling and waving. Karanos doesn't even act as he sees them. Instead, he wraps his arm around my waist and leads me up the stairs. I look at him sternly. Why am I being treated like I am nine months pregnant?

Karanos' father is smiling. He has never done it to me, and I don't know how to react, so I smile and bow a little in acknowledgment.

But Kal's mother steps forward and engulfs me in a hug. I was surprised because she only hugged me briefly back at the party and pretended to be interested in talking with her son's girlfriend.

"I heard the news!" She exclaims. "You're going to be giving us a grandchild. Just at the right time,"

Before I can speak, Karanos steps in for me. "Mum," He begins. "I'd love it if you don't put so much pressure on her."