Chapter 40: Glitz and Glam

Susan's POV

   I can feel myself floating in the clouds as I walk through the red-carpeted area alongside Achilles who has his arms around my waist as we both smile, letting reporters, hired photographers and paparazzi take pictures of us.

   The moment is glorious but ephemeral because as soon as we're out of the walkway, we're both accosted by one of the hosts.

   I watch how easily Achilles blends in with the environment, smiling freely and answering the host while commenting on her dress. When she turns to me and asks about my dress and my designer, I am quick enough to tell her, grateful that I did not stutter at a point.

   That's why I am learning fashion designing for a reason. As soon as I set my eyes on the outfit I was to wear back at Achilles Penthouse, I already knew the designers so it was quite easy for me.

   Once we're done with the mini interview, Achilles and I stand together in front of the black banner behind us filled with brand names of sponsors that made this gala happen tonight.

   Once we're done taking pictures, Achilles guides me toward the entrance.

   "Where's Tarantino? He was coming behind us." I ask, trying to blend in with the music, lights, and expensive and sophisticated people. Speaking sometimes makes me feel at ease. Especially when I am in an environment I am not used to.

   "Tarantino hates to take the red carpet. So he goes into the hall from the other side. Same thing Karanos does." Achilles says and snatches up a drink for me as he smiles at the female server.

   "Why?" I ask, taking the glass of wine he hands over to me and inhaling it.

   "He hates being in the spotlight," Achilles explains. "And for the fact that he is really popular, he doesn't like appearing in cameras."

   "Camera shy?" I ask, not believing Tarantino to be that kind of person.

   Achilles laughs and shakes his head. "Nah, he isn't. Just doesn't like being everywhere."

   I nod and look at my wine again. Unsure of what is in it and what it tastes like, I bring it to my nose again.

   "You've not drunk your wine?" Achilles asks. "That's  Montepulciano D'abruzzo. It's an Italian red wine. You should try it out."

   I nod and sip. Closing my eyes, I savor the taste. "Hmm, this tastes really nice. Oregano, pepper, tobacco, and black fruits. I think this is something I'd definitely love to get drunk on."

   "Oh!" Achilles burst into laughter. "You're something else. Let's go search for Tarantino. I wonder what celebrity he's hiding from?"

   "And I ask, why?"

   "Tarantino has anxiety issues. Especially when he isn't in his comfort zone. I know you're going to ask me why he was so free with you the first time you both met. That was because you were in his home." Achilles explains.

   "I totally understand," I say, feeling quite sorry for Tarantino.

   "Oh, and there's Tarantino's best friend and heartthrob." Achilles announces silently for only me to hear. I also notice the mocking tone in his voice and realize that he doesn't really like the lady. 

   She's really beautiful. Sarah looks like a mixture of Hispanic and Asian. A combo made from heaven. Her honey blond hair is straightened to perfection, ending with ocean waves at the tip. From her height, her hourglass shape, and her facial structure, you'd mistake her for a goddess. Even as she walks toward us, people turn their heads to look at her.

   "Hey, Achilles," She greets. Her voice has to be the prettiest thing I've heard all week.

   Achilles gives her a stiff smile. "Hey. Sarah. Looking for Tarantino?"

   "Uhm, not really," She says and quickly changes her words. "Yes, I am looking for him. I had no idea that he was coming. He hasn't texted me in days."

   Achilles nods and I read to her. She doesn't care enough about Tarantino to want to see him. Are they actually best friends?

   I doubt it.

"I have no idea where he is. He took the other side as usual. I'm guessing you'd find him standing by the balcony." Achilles directs.

   Sarah Chuckles. "Oh, why did I forget his usual spot? He loves his solitude a lot and would love to spend time away from people."

   Achilles nods and feigns a smile of fondness.

   She doesn't even bother to acknowledge me. Turning on her feet, she begins to walk away.

   "What does Tarantino find attractive about her again?" I ask.

   Achilles shrugs. "I'm guessing it's her beauty and body. Definitely her beauty. She's hard to resist. Only I am immune to her charms."

   I chortle. "Yeah, right. I saw how you looked at her. Your response wasn't warm at all.  I'm guessing she was too self-absorbed to notice."

   "None of my business," Achilles says and takes away the empty cup from my hand.

   "I'd like to have another glass."

   Achilles shakes his head. "No, sweetie. We don't want you tipsy before the party starts. Now, come. I'll introduce you to a few of my friends."

   "Uhh, I need to find Bells first. She's attending and I need to speak with her." I lie partially.

   I am actually not ready to meet his friends who'd definitely be sophisticated and far more intelligent than I am. And also, wealthy people have this habit of walking over people who they feel they are better than and I am totally not down for that.

   "I'll give Achilles a call now. He definitely knows where she is." Achilles says without much argument as he slips out his phone.

   He smiles at a few people he knows while he dials Kal's number.

   "Yo, bro. How are you doing?" Achilles begins. "Yeah, I'm there. I'm with Susan. She's asking about Bell's. Huh? You've not seen her for the past twenty minutes? That's crazy. Alright. I'm standing by the eastern part of the hall."

   Then he ended the call.

   "What did he say? Where's Bells?" I ask.

   "Kal says he has no idea where she is. She just told him that she needed to pick up a call and ever since he hasn't seen her. I'm just hoping she's somewhere mingling with some bloke who finds her attractive even if Kal would rip the unfortunate being's throat."

   "Oh, please." I laugh. "Taleela wouldn't talk to your friend for the rest of her life if he does this. "

   "Let's go meet him, he's waiting for us somewhere close to the high tables."

   "That's where we're going to be seated right? When the party commences."

   "Obviously, hon."

   I spot Kal before Achilles does. He is standing among a group of men who are listening to him speak with so much attention.

   "That's the kind of attention he likes to catch," Achilles says proudly like Karanos is his son or something. "Let's go meet him."

   "Wait," I hold onto him. "Let's go get something to eat first?"

   Achilles gives me a look. "I knew it! You don't want to meet anyone because you're nervous."

   "No, no— that's not it," I stutter. "I just don't really feel comfortable in social gatherings. Though I am pumped tonight."

   Achilles takes my hand and begins to pull me along with him. All my protest for him to let me go goes into the bin because soon enough, we're standing before a group of young and eligible bachelors as regency romance would describe it.

   Achilles shakes hands with them and Karanos hugs me briefly while asking about my well-being. We both exchange pleasantries before Achilles begins to introduce me as his girlfriend.

   At first, I am shocked. He has never really asked me out. So, why and how Am I his girlfriend?

   I do not really say anything about it as his friends comment on how beautiful I look while shaking my hand longer than usual.

   Once we're done with introductions, another wave of conversation starts, and soon enough, Achilles gives all his attention to his friends.

   No one even bothers to include me so I feel like I shouldn't be around them. I am slightly upset by how Achilles just leaves me in the lurch.

   Deciding to go in search of Taleela, I tap Kal who immediately turns. I see a flash of disappointment in his eyes but I understand.

   He must be waiting for Taleela because he thought I was the one.

   "Have any idea where Taleela is?" I ask in a low tone, hoping Achilles doesn't hear me. I do not want him to know when I walk off in search of my friend.

   "She's probably still in the restroom doing God knows what. If you do not find her there, give her a call. I've been calling her number to no avail."

   Feeling grateful for his kindness, I nod. "I definitely will. I can see how much you care about my friend." I remark, smiling up at him.

   "I really care about her, Sue. Make sure you tell her that I've been calling. Drag her to this place, too."

   Nodding I turn on my feet and walk away, hoping Achilles discovers that I am missing at one point in time.