Like Old Days

HERO

The last thing I want to see is any of my girls upset. Seeing Mila's reaction and knowing how she felt has stayed on my mind and haunted me for the remainder of the week. She never let either me or Jo know about her feelings. Instead, like me, she took herself to her bedroom and let her feelings stew. But seeing us in the kitchen was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've genuinely never seen her so upset. Like I said, not even over her old recurring nightmare that Jo helped cure her of last Christmas. Even though I consoled her, she was upset and uneasy for the rest of the night. That evening was sombre for all of us. Like a darkened shadow had been cast over the house. A stark realisation that perhaps we were guilty of causing her to feel that way. Inadvertently and unknowingly, of course, but still. That doesn't excuse any of it.

During the few times we were on our own, Jo never stopped asking me if Mila was okay. I could tell how rattled she was. Like me, she didn't expect any of this to happen. She even asked Mila herself if she was alright and whether there was anything she wanted to talk to her about. But she declined, not saying anything and just shaking her head no. Honestly, I don't think she was ready to talk. Perhaps it was still too raw. But she will be, I'm sure, in time.

Jo insisted on doing Mila's bath and bedtime that night because she'd been so busy with Sydney usually during that time. And I know she missed it. So, I sat with Sydney having been fed slightly earlier than usual, while Jo tended to look after Mila and her bath and bedtime. During bathtime, Jo reiterated everything that I had said to her so she'd heard it from both of us, separately. She bathed her, read her a story and put her to bed all while I waited downstairs with Sydney who didn't make a murmur.

But even as she came downstairs, I could tell Jo was still worried about Mila. Like me, she'd never seen her that way aside from the nightmare. But we're her parents so it's our job to make sure we get over this little hurdle and work to avoid another instance like what happened.

And part of that work includes doing something we've not done in a long time. I couldn't even name when we last did what we have planned today. It feels like forever ago. As I promised on the night of her upset, today, we'll be going into central London with her for a daddy-daughter day out. Just me and Mila. When I told Jo about our plans, she was more than happy to accommodate our day out and said she'd have a day in with Sydney.

Life for the four of us is an absolute whirlwind. To say we lead a busy life is an understatement. I've had my foot injury to deal with, Jo's recently ended pregnancy, Sydney's unexpected birth, my slow return to football and Mila entering into Year 1 to just name a few things. But we've now discovered the importance of making time for one another when we need to.

Jo also said in a few weeks, she'll make plans for a girl's day with Mila. Perhaps a little shopping trip or a spa day together. So they can spend time on their own but we'll have to wait until I'm not training on a weekend and have a Saturday off. But it'll happen, eventually. Being in two big leagues is a challenge, but doable. Because it's what me and the team worked our arses off for last season.

Hopping into my car, I reach for my phone and decide to text Jo.

I'm on my way home, can you make sure Mila is ready, please? xx

As soon as I hit send, I place my phone in the holder but I see the three dots begin to dance and the delivered status change to read.

No worries drive safe xx

Smiling to myself, I switch my car on and pull my seatbelt into place. Once I'm strapped in, I shift the car into reverse and begin to pull out of my silently designated car parking space. I'm only one of a handful scheduled for training today, the majority of us being in rehab one way or another. Making my way to the gate, I turn out onto the road and begin the journey home, looking forward to my day with my oldest.