chapter 45

The next morning, Emelie woke up with a throbbing head

The next morning, Emelie woke up with a throbbing head. She'd silently cried herself to sleep all night, in denial that Cedric wasn't there with them anymore.

Emelie slipped on her clothes to go down to the Great Hall for Cedric's funeral and instead of wearing her headband like she always did, she didn't and let her hair fall loose over her shoulders, just like Cedric liked best.

Ginny, who hadn't talked to her last night, came up to her while she was quietly going down the dormitory stairs.

"Emelie, I'm.... uh, I'm very sorry about...". Emelie gave her a sad smile, understanding what she meant.

It was only when she was at the exit to the common room that Emelie stopped. She felt her stomach churning. She didn't want to go to the memorial. It would only hurt her more.

"Emelie..." Hermione coaxed gently. She held out her hand and Emelie took it walking downstairs with Hermione by her side.

Once they were at the entrance to the Great Hall, Emelie and Harry were greeted by a chorus of "I'm sorry" or "My condolences to you". Emelie tried to smile but not even people saying they felt bad could bring her to her senses of how much she missed Cedric already.

Fleur, who was sitting at the Ravenclaw table, gave her a sad smile. Emelie returned the favor. She needed to thank Fleur so much because she was the reason Emelie was able to become Cedric's girl in the first place.

Emelie sat down at the Gryffindor table with Hermione to her right and George sitting at her left. Dumbledore walked in a couple minutes later to give the speech about Cedric.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all this morning," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying this day with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your wands, to Cedric Diggory."

Emelie stood up reluctantly and raised her wand in the air. This one's for you, Ced. She fought tears as she sat back down.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued once everyone sat back down.

"He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, and he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about."

Emelie already knew how Cedric died, of course, but hearing Dumbledore say it had a whole different meaning.

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so – either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

Everyone in the Great Hall became silent, staring in disbelief at Dumbledore. Emelie's whole body was shaking as one single tear dropped down her face.

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," Dumbledore went on. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter."
Every single head turned around to face Harry who was a little way away from Emelie. She reached out her hand and squeezed Harry's. He gave her a sly smile. Emelie thought she could see Cedric in that smile but thought better of it.

"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," said Dumbledore. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him."

The students in the Great Hall clapped at Harry. Emelie wanted to thank him so much now that she knew how it had all gone. Harry was the reason that she'd seen Cedric for the last time, alive or not.

"Now, for all the guests in this hall, you are all welcome to come back to this school any time you wish" Dumbledore said looking at the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students, "Let me remind you all, additionally, that the Triwizard Tournament was meant to take up as friendly competition. As of this year, we will not be hosting it anymore".

Emelie gave out a sigh of relief. Of course they wouldn't be hosting it anymore. She thought about how she would have felt if both Harry and Cedric died. She closed her eyes, blocking away the thought.

"It is my belief – and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken – that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst"

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

Emelie couldn't take it anymore; she started sobbing, her body wracking. Hermione gave her a side hug and George leaned over to rub her shoulders.

Emelie appreciated their effort to make her feel better. She caught a glimpse of Cho at the Ravenclaw table. She too was crying a bit and when she caught Emelie's eye she mouthed, "He loved you". Somehow this didn't make Emelie cry instead it made her feel better.

She had been loved. Cedric had loved her. She slowly stopped crying, just sniffling and Dumbledore, who had been looking at her kindly, kept talking.

"I'm afraid that was the ending of my speech. You may all stand up now and cherish the memory that is Cedric Diggory". He waved them off to be dismissed. Emelie stood up carefully. Fleur came to her when she was walking out.

"Emelie, I'm truly sorry".

She hugged her and Emelie whispered, "Thank you Fleur, you're the kindest veela I've met". She smiled and walked off with her sister, Gabrielle.

Hannah Abbott, the Hufflepuff she'd encountered so many times in the Hufflepuff common room, came up to her next.

"Oh Emelie. I-I'm truly at a loss for words. Cedric was so k-kind and sweet. I can't possibly picture how you feel right now". She was crying; Hannah must have been a good friend of Cedric's.

"It's alright, Hannah. Thank you for thinking of me". Hannah waved goodbye and scurried off, tears pouring down her cheeks.

As Emelie was about to take her first step outside the Great Hall a booming voice called her name.

"Emelie Fawley?". She turned around and found Amos Diggory and his wife, Mrs. Diggory next to him.

"Yes, that's me". Mrs. Diggory's face was puffy, she too must have been crying.

"Oh Emelie, we couldn't wait to meet you". Her voice was as kind as Mrs. Weasley's voice. She continued.

"Thank you... for making our son die happy". Emelie stared at her, a fresh batch of tears forming in her eye lids. As if she hadn't cried enough to last her a lifetime.

"Yes" Mr. Diggory agreed, "He always talked about you in his letters to us". Emelie opened her mouth, closed it, then opened it again.

"I- Mr. and Mrs. Diggory I don't know what to say-". Mrs. Diggory held her hand gently.

"No need to say anything. We should be the ones thanking you. You really are a special girl Emelie". They both said goodbye and left, leaving Emelie speechless.

As she was walking back to the common room, Emelie didn't cry. Rather the words "you really are a special girl, Emelie" repeated in her mind. She felt strange and more reflective as she walked to Gryffindor common room Mrs. Diggory's words repeating in her mind.