chapter 44

Emelie had made it to the Astronomy Tower

Emelie had made it to the Astronomy Tower. She couldn't believe her eyes.

She slumped her back down on a pillar and started crying, her body wracking. Since no one was around she sobbed, whimpering in pain as of someone had stabbed her which in way, someone had. Someone most definitely stabbed her heart.

This didn't feel right. It didn't feel real or rational.

A million memories flooded her mind. Meeting Cedric. Their first date. Their first kiss. But the most painful one of all was that his last words to her were 'I love you". All these moments were gone in the blink of an eye.

Emelie cried more and thought about how little time they'd spent together.

Even though it felt like a lifetime to her, the moments spent with Cedric weren't enough. It pained her so much to know things like this. She didn't think she'd ever go back to normal.

Emelie didn't know how long she'd been there but soon someone opened the trap door to the tower. Emelie brushed her tears.

"Who's there?" she choked out.

"Hi Emelie". A familiar face came out the pillar. Cho.

"It's me Cho Chang. I saw you run here and couldn't help but follow you". Her voice was sweet and kind as she sat down next to Emelie.

"I saw that Cedric....", she paused for a few seconds, "I saw he has died. I'm hurting too but I can't imagine how you must be feeling" she coaxed.

Emelie cried even harder. Cho let Emelie's head rest on her shoulder.

"Why did you come up here Cho?" Emelie asked after she'd regained herself.

"I wanted to apologize. For going to the Yule Ball with Cedric. I knew how much he must of wanted to go with you but I asked him anyway". Emelie sniffled and looked at her incredulously.

"I know that it seemed rude of me but me and Cedric talked it out and he told me that he was looking out for you and wanted nothing more to be with you I'm sorry Emelie". Emelie smiled down at her, grateful that she was near her and was being so sweet.

"You know, I never hated you, Cho," Emelie told her. This was partially right. She never loathed Cho, but at one point she couldn't bear to see her with Cedric. Cho nodded.

"I know but he loved you a lot. Cedric, I mean". Emelie gave her a glum smile.

Cho held out her arms and Emelie embraced her as they stood up. Once she pulled out from their hug, Cho spoke again.

"Your friends... They're looking for you. You should probably go down to your common room".

Emelie didn't need to be told twice. She'd nearly forgotten about Harry and when she entered the common room and didn't see him she blurted out, "Where's Harry? Is he okay?".

Hermione and Ron ran over to her. "Harry, he's saying You-Know-Who is back. He's in Moody's office right now. They didn't let us- Emelie... oh goodness"

Hermione's face shifted when she saw Emelie's puffy face. Emelie didn't even have to speak as Hermione embraced her whispering in her ear, "I'm so sorry Emelie".

Before anyone else could, Harry burst into the common room.

"Moody is Barty Crouch Jr." he said. Emelie widened her eyes. Either Harry had gone mad or this was another part of the horrid night Emelie had bene having.

"Harry slow down, what?" Hermione asked wide-eyed as Emelie.

"He cast the dark mark at the Quidditch World Cup, he's the reason my scar is hurting again, and he's the reason why Bartemius Crouch Jr. and Cedric are dead!" Harry spat painfully. Emelie recoiled. This school year had all been a lie. Every last bit. A lie.

"What are we going to do about it?" Ron asked worriedly.

"I don't know but the real Moody is trapped in there, in fake Moody's luggage. I need to talk to the real Moody". Hermione shook her head.

"Harry no, you're going mad, let's rest-". Hermione didn't get to finish.

"Don't you both understand?! Voldemort is back, I can't let him get any farther and cause more damage".
Good thing that only the four of them were in the common room or else the rest of the Gryffindors would have gotten headaches.

"Shh!" Hermione yelled, "Don't speak his name!". Harry slumped down on one of the couches.

"So what if I do? I saw him, Hermione. He's back. He killed Cedric, You-Know Who". Emelie whimpered. Was this really true?

"You m-mean to tell me Cedric could have been saved?". Emelie's voice cracked

Harry nodded. "Yes, Emelie, he could have. But Voldemort.... he just...... it's difficult to explain!".

Ron flinched at You-Know-Who's name. Harry gripped his forehead.

"My scar felt like it was about to burst my head into half. I couldn't see a thing but when I did regain my vision, I saw him with my naked eye. He's gruesome". Hermione shivered.

What did Dumbledore say? Was he there?" Ron asked. Emelie just looked between he friends, trying to process that whatever was happening was real and not a figment of her imagination.

"Yes, he was. Dumbledore was in the room with me, clueless that Moody was Crouch. After we talked, he dismissed me and told me to go back to my common room". Emelie remembered something. Where were the others?

"Where's everyone else?" she asked silently.

"They're coming. Dumbledore told me he would make an announcement to everyone so that they could go back to their common rooms. I think Cedric's-" Harry paused, "Cedric's memorial will be held tomorrow morning". Emelie contained a tear that was threatening to escape.

They heard footsteps outside the common room door suddenly. Harry got up.

"We should go to bed. Pretend to sleep at least. I don't want a million voices surrounding me asking if I actually met You-Know-Who". Hermione agreed
.
"They'd think it's brilliant when you almost died and someone else actually died". Emelie wished she wouldn't have said it. It only reminded her of all the pain she felt.

Harry waved goodbye to them and Hermione and Emelie headed over to their dorm room. Hermione didn't talk to her and Emelie was glad, because the moment she would start talking she probably wouldn't finish.

Emelie took off her clothes slowly and put on her pajamas. She waited for Ginny to come back and fall asleep along with Hermione before she broke into cries. Her pillow was stained with tears by the time she fell asleep, her head heavy with thoughts.