chapter 25

It was now after dinner, almost midnight, and everyone had gone off to bed

It was now after dinner, almost midnight, and everyone had gone off to bed. While waiting for all the Gryffindors to go up to their dorms, Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Emelie had all been discussing another event that was coming up, almost forgetting about the poem Harry had found. The Yule Ball.

"So, do you think people will start asking right away?" Hermione said. Dumbledore had told them at dinner time that everyone was allowed to ask someone to go with them to the Yule Ball but they didn't really know how soon people would start asking.

Emelie hoped that Cedric would ask her yet she didn't say it out loud.

"Probably. No one wants to wait until the only people left are boys. Then they'll say we're liners and losers and whatnot" Ron replied. Harry nodded in agreement.

"Alright, I know the Yule Ball is exciting, but can I please recite the poem I heard from inside the egg?" Harry asked a few minutes later, impatiently.

Emelie nodded, gesturing for him to start reciting. Harry opened his mouth and said:

Come seek us where our voices sound, We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching ponder this; We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour, the prospect's black, Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.

"We cannot sing above the ground.... The task must be underwater!" Hermione exclaimed.

Emelie agreed knowing this was the only logical explanation.

"I was thinking that too but what about 'an hour long you'll have to look to recover what we took'? What could that mean?".

"Maybe the task is an hour long?" Emelie said casually but Hermione jumped up. "Yes! So the task is an hour long, it's underwater, and what else?".

"Well, Harry said "past an hour, the prospect's black". I have a feeling you'll need to look for something underwater and they'll only tell you once the task starts". Harry looked happily at Rob.

"That's brilliant, Ron. Really". Hermione suddenly stopped Harry's outburst of joy.

"I don't mean to be insufferable but how are you going to stay underwater for an hour long, Harry? The task is only a few weeks away, we need to find a method that helps wizards stay underwater".

"Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of books like that at the library" Emelie said, wisely, knowing Hermione would definitely go there.

"That's right, the library! We'll go there right after breakfast tomorrow morning. Now, off to bed both of you". Hermione rushed them to their dormitories, looking a lot like Mrs. Weasley when she would shrilly tell her children to go to bed.

Emelie and Hermione climbed up the stairs to their dorms, tiptoeing quietly since Ginny was already asleep.

Before they entered, Hermione stopped Emelie in her tracks.

"You know, you didn't have to lie earlier today. I saw you with Cedric You two are quite the match", she started, whispering, "I hope you both find each other at the ball". Hermione smiled and opened the door to the dormroom. Emelie hoped that too.