chapter 36

Emelie decided to tell Hermione about her and Cedric immediately because even if she didn't Hermione would notice Emelie's smile which had barely faded

"Hermione, come here" Emelie called her over to the corner of the common room.

"Is everything okay?". Emelie smiled even wider.

"More than okay. So, I met Cedric while I was walking and after he apologized, we... well it wasn't really but um.... we snogged ".

Hermione's eyes widened.

"Emelie! You snogged, goodness this is some news!" Hermione screamed, shaking Emelie's arm.

"Okay, shh! We didn't really snog, it was more of a peck".

"It doesn't matter, you still kissed! Now, it's time for my news". Hermione took a breath before continuing.

"I blackmailed Rita Skeeter telling her that if she didn't remove me and Harry's gossip I would reveal she was an illegal animagi".

"That's great Hermione. How about you and Ron? Are you guys still arguing or..?".

"I'm still giving that some time. But now back to work or else Snape is going to be rounding me and you". Emelie chuckled and went off to finish her homework. Maybe the days going up to the third task might not be as bad as they seemed.

                                       ********

The next few days were a blur of people trying to figure out what the third task was and the weather varying from chilly to downright cold. Good thing Dumbledore came to the rescue at lunch time telling everyone the main purpose of the third task.

"This final task will test your ability to escape places and use magic effectively meaning you will need to be escaping out of a maze. It is not an ordinary maze though; you will need to battle lots of creatures which I expect you all to study up on. This task also requires minimal training so if you can, champions, find someone to help you with spells. Further information will be given out in a letter. Now, move on to class!".

Emelie looked over at Harry who was looking a lot calmer now that he knew the focus of the task.

"So, do you think we could help you?" Ron asked Harry.

"Once you and Hermione stop fighting maybe. For now you and Emelie can help me. But Hermione, you need to make peace with Ron no matter how harsh the situation is".

"I agree with Harry," Emelie said. Hermione was about to protest but Harry held up his hand.

"Emelie, meet me in the library tonight after supper". Emelie nodded then walked off to her free period that she had in the morning since it was Wednesday.

After her free period she had Transfiguration so she reckoned it was best to catch up on what they were learning.

As she was walking up the marble staircase, she crossed paths with....

"Cedric, hi!". Emelie didn't know why she sounded so ecstatic but then again, she had kissed him just three days ago.

"Hello, Em, you seem cheerful today," Cedric laughed before continuing, "Now that we're here, I wanted to ask again, can we be more than friends?".

Emelie almost choked. Was he really asking this right now?

"Does that mean you want me to be your....?," Emelie asked hopefully.

"I mean, if that's fine with you". Cedric fumbled with the strap of his bag. Emelie couldn't help but smile.

"Of course that's fine with me! Goodness, Cedric, you don't know how long I've been waiting for-". Emelie clapped a hand over her mouth and Cedric laughed.

"You can say it. I've been waiting for this too. And now that this happened you can help me and Harry at the same time for the tournament. The two Hogwarts champions". Emelie didn't even stop herself and flinged her body over to hug Cedric.

"Cedric, thank you so much. This year is getting better already". She broke apart from the hug and suddenly felt confident, kissing him. He smiled against her lips.

"Please, call me Ced", he said after they'd broke apart.

"Alright then Ced, I will see you again at lunch".

"Even some other time that isn't lunch, darling".

Emelie's heart skipped a beat at the word darling while she watched him walk away. No amount of sadness or fights could take away all the happiness Emelie was feeling in this very moment.