chapter 26

The next morning, Emelie went right down to the Great Hall by herself since Ron, Hermione, and Harry had all sneaked out early in the morning

She sat down next to George who was sitting alone, since Fred was on the other side of the table talking to his friends Lee Jordan and Angelina Johnson.

"Harry, Ron and Hermione are at the library, aren't they?". she asked George. He nodded.

"Sneaked there immediately after they ate". Emelie gave him a quick nod because of course they'd gone there and began eating breakfast. She piled eggs, sausage, and beans on her plate.

Since yesterday her stomach was still a little bit queasy at dinner, she hadn't eaten much which was the reason why she gave herself a filling breakfast this morning. If she could permanently and legally curse Draco Malfoy she'd do it gladly.

As she was eating, she looked around and a horrible sight stood before her. Emelie pinched herself to make sure that she wasn't in a bad fever dream.

She even closed her eyes to shut out the sight but nothing, it was still there.

The Ravenclaw girl, Cho Chang, was hugging Cedric at the Hufflepuff table. It seemed as if he'd just asked her to the Yule Ball. Emelie really hoped that wasn't it and that is was just a friendly hug but her friends' faces said otherwise.

She suddenly didn't feel like eating anymore. She set her fork down and started to feel tears threatening to spill. No. Crying in front of the whole Great Hall was the last thing she'd do.

She was still looking at Cedric when he caught her eye. Emelie hoped he could see the hurt in her eyes. At the same time though she saw something in Cedric's eye. An emotion almost like regret. But that didn't matter because it still hurt Emelie.

She looked over hoping George hadn't seen her like this. She really had hoped that Cedric would ask her and now who was she supposed to go with? How did he suddenly like this Ravenclaw girl he didn't even talk to? It was too much.

"Um George? Is Fred going with anyone to the Yule Ball?" she asked hopefully. George looked at her and then said:

"Yes, he just asked Angeline Johnson". Emelie nodded, tears stinging her eyes now.

Cedric smiling with his friends didn't help at all. Emelie got up. She was going to take a walk around, clear her head.

"Uh, I'm going to go," Emelie said urgently to George.

Before he even had a chance to say goodbye, Emelie ran out the Great Hall.

She knew she was being unreasonable. There wasn't anything going on between them, he'd said it himself, she was his friend. Yet, it still hurt her to see Cho Chang being all over him. I should have seen it coming, I knew he wouldn't have asked me.

Hermione's words from last night repeated in her head. You two are quite the match. It didn't seem so anymore. She was down the hallway leading to the school courtyard when she heard her name being called.

"Emelie!". She turned around, hoping it was Cedric, but instead she saw George.

"I knew you're upset. You thought i didn't see you looking at them, did you?", he added when Emelie looked bewildered. He did catch everything.

"Listen, I know nothing about you two but you seem wrecked by what you just saw. I.. I just want you to know you can count on me okay? And I'll go to the Yule Ball with you".

Emelie thought he was being too nice, so nice it made her tears finally fall. She buried her head in his chest and George pat her head in a brotherly way.

They stayed like that for a few minutes, Emelie's sadness taking over and George's kindness sinking into her skin.