chapter 32

At last, the big day had come

At last, the big day had come. The day of the Yule Ball. While some students were at home celebrating Christmas with their families, all the students at Hogwarts were ecstatic. The winter feeling in the air, along with people's excitement lifted up every mood.

In the morning the Great Hall had a big Christmas breakfast with lots of treats, and English breakfast food. Emelie loved the joy in the air so much that she almost forgot any of her worries surrounding Cedric.

"I don't think I've ever been so excited for an event at Hogwarts," Ginny said after breakfast in the common room.

"Considering you've actually got a date this year," Fred teased. Ginny glared at him.

Emelie could hardly wait to see what her dress looked like. She knew what everyone else's dresses looked like except for her own dress.

She'd wanted to keep a surprise for as long as possible so she could have the very first look after she was all glammed up.

"Do you all know Malfoy asked out Pugface Parkinson at the Yule Ball?" George said suddenly.

"I think his parents forced him. That Lucius Malfoy character is despicable. Evil goes with evil". Emelie silently agreed with Ron.

The next few minutes were full of a comforting quiet while everyone waited for it to be 8 pm.

By the time it was 6:30 pm, Emelie, Hermione, Ron, and Harry rushed to their dorms to get ready as they had been opening their Christmas presents (the usual Weasley sweaters).

Emelie and Hermione took separate spots in the dorm room along with Ginny while getting ready. Emelie took her parent's package from under her bed, opening it.

What came out was stunning. Emelie couldn't help but gasp at the dress her parents had given her.

It was a simple yet elegant floor length gown. It wasn't too puffy like Emelie loathed, it was just right. It had capped transparent sleeves and it was light blue almost like the decorations to be set up inside the Great Hall. The next item in her package were glittery silver heels. Emelie didn't hesitate to strip her clothes off and put on her dress and shoes. Once Hermione had closed the zipper in the back, Emelie turned the mirror next to her bed around.

She nearly teared up at how nice it looked. It matched her aura perfectly and she noticed how pretty her face would look if she added a bit of cosmetics. So, Emelie sat down on the desk the three of them shared and started on her hair. She went for an elegant bun with braids wrapped around it.

Once done with that, she applied some of her mothers Muggle lipstick to her lips. She kept it in her bag for special occasions and now was certainly the time to show it off.

She then sat down on her bed, waiting for Hermione and Ginny to fix themselves up. Emelie checked the time only to find out it was 7:00 p.m. She'd have to wait.

After a couple minutes of reading from a book on her bedside table, Emelie lifted her head up to see Ginny standing in front of her with an aqua blue dress tinged with a pink top. She too had capped sleeves a bit shorter than Emelie's.

"You look lovely, Ginny".

"I don't feel lovely," Ginny replied, tugging at her necklace. "You, on the other hand, look splendid". Emelie blushed, thanking her.

"Hermione said she'll be taking a long time so shall we go down already?".

"It seems a bit early Ginny".

"Oh, not to worry, the ball starts ten minutes before the exact time so it's best if we go down there early".

So, the two girls went down the dorm room stairs to find their dates already sitting on the couches in the common room. George stood up immediately.

"Ms Fawley, this dress suits you very well", he says.

"Why thank you" Emelie responded. George then took out a white rose on a light green thick bracelet.

"This is for you. Mum suggested I give one to my date". Emelie held out her wrist as George clasped the rose around it. He held out his arm, Emelie intertwining her own around his.

"Let us go then", he said, exiting the common room. They carefully went down the stairs, making sure not to trip. Many other couples were making their way to the Great Hall, including Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson.

"Hope you enjoyed my little trick, Amelia" Malfoy teased. Emelie rolled her eyes at him.

"That little omen. I don't know what's stopping me from throwing him a fistful".

"That would be me", George replies and only then did Emelie notice he was holding her back or else she'd probably pounce on Draco.

They continued walking their way down to the marble staircase until they finally stood at the entrance to the Great Hall. Ron and Harry along with the Patil twins joined them shortly and the only person missing was Hermione.

"Where could she be?" Ron asked, looking around.

Sure enough, Hermione then walked down the entrance hall stairs in the prettiest light pink dress Emelie had ever seen.

She slowly walked down looking at someone whom Emelie figured out was Viktor. Ron looked somewhat jealous, Emelie observed.

"Hello, it's amazing here" Hermione breathed, taking Viktor's arm. She walked near the entrance since she would be walking in with the champions. McGonagall then popped out of the Great Hall wearing wonderful green robes and her pointed witch hat.

"Good evening everyone, you all look lovely. I came out to make the announcement that if you're not a champion, if you could, kindly enter the Great Hall at this time and make a pathway for our four champions and their dates".

So, Emelie and George along with Ron and Padma and Ginny and Neville, entered the Great Hall which made Emelie inhale a breath. It looked spectacular.

Glass tables were stationed almost everywhere and one big Christmas tree coated with snow was at the ending of the hall. It looked nothing like this morning.

Emelie and George both stood in the crowd of people gathered on two sides making way for the champions. The doors of the Great Hall then opened to show Fleur and her date, whom Emelie didn't recognize, Viktor with Hermione, and...

Cedric with Cho right before Harry and Parvati. Emelie couldn't help it she stared at the couple that was Cedric and Cho. They looked perfect together and Cho looked magnificent. It almost made Emelie want to tear off her own dress. George suddenly squeezed her hand, sensing how tense she must have been. Good thing they walked by very quickly and Harry and Parvati were already walking past, heading to the dance floor.

The hall had finally begun.