Chapter 1

"Your father told me all about your situation. We are just chatting normally. Don't be nervous."

Xiao Zhan put his elbows on the table, fingertips facing each other "Um."

"How do you get along with your classmates at school?"

"Good"

Xiao Zhan's eyes swept to the side, there was a family portrait of the psychiatrist, a family of three and a golden retriever with soft hair. The little girl put her hand on the dog and smiled happily.

It is very warm, perhaps to increase the breath of life and reduce the pressure on patients in psychotherapy.

"How about at home? How is your relationship with your parents?"

"All good."

Xiao Zhan smiled politely without showing any impatience, which was rare for a high school student who was forced to send psychological counselling and who was still in the rebellious period.

"So what hobbies do you usually have? I heard that you have good grades in your studies?"

"Yes, the grades are okay."

Xiao Zhan thought about it and asked, "I don't care much about my interests. Does the piano count? I also like to paint recently, but I'm not very good at painting. I haven't learnt to paint before. Can you give me a pen? I seem to like your dog."

"Sure."

The psychiatrist handed Xiao Zhan a paintbrush and white paper. These are often available in the consultation room, most of which are for autistic patients, or children with psychological problems.

Patients who focus on the painting will put their guard down and become more friendly, and they will not concentrate much on the questions while painting so they can observe the reactions and the flow of answers.

"You must also like it a lot, don't you?"

"Um?" The psychiatrist responded and nodded again: "Yes"

The brown paintbrush fell on the paper, and Xiao Zhan asked again, "What is its name?"

"Kiki, my daughter named it" the psychiatrist smiled.

Xiao Zhan nodded "You must treat it as family, it looks very happy."

There still was a smile on the corner of the psychiatrist's lips "Yes, Kiki is very dependent on us, dogs are very dependent on their owners."

"Pity"

Xiao Zhan still lowered his head and painted, with a faint smile on his lips, as if he was still lamenting the happiness of life in the doctor's home.

The doctor was puzzled: "What pity?"

"It's a pity that a dog's lifespan is only nine to sixteen years old. In the photo, it looks like you just started a family. And now you look like you are fifty years old, and by this time it would have been dead already"

The psychiatrist was shocked.

"Were you sad when it died?"

Xiao Zhan still didn't look up and said to himself, "Golden retrievers are more likely to get cancer than other breeds. Most dogs with cancer die from the pain of the onset of the disease. It's so pitiful."

He paused slightly, looked up at the doctor's surprised eyes, and had a cruel smile on his lips.

"The dog's nature is to find a place to hide when it is seriously ill, but it may not have the strength to hide too far, at most in the garden, or in a certain corner of the house. When you found it, you might have only looked half of it at first. The tail, and then you would have looked up the stiff tail, blocked by something, you might have looked away with a broken heart, it's your favourite pet - stiff and dusty, giving off a bit of damp, rotting fur smell with its eyes open."