Mingi ✦ Niffler Nabbing | Hogwarts AU

Start from the beginning

You approached the small hut, giving a knock on the weathered wood of the front door, watching as plumes of smoke escaped the chimney meaning Hagrid was home.
The door swung open moments later revealing the jovial half-giant, but before he could even greet you, his dog, Fang, came running by his feet, jumping up to greet you and Mingi.
"Fang!" You cooed, scratching the massive dog's ears, his droopy face looking too cute.
"Hey kiddos." Hagrid greeted once Fang had calmed down. "What brings you here?"
"It's the end of the day and Mingi and I wanted to see if you had any new creatures you were taking care of." You told him, rocking back and forth on your heels in anticipation.
A small grin pulled at Hagrid's features.
"I just got a new little fella yesterday, actually. Would you like to see him?"
"Yes, please!" You and Mingi both piped up, speaking at the same time.
Hagrid gave a hearty chuckle before stepping aside. "Well, come on in, then."
The two of you entered his cozy hut, both looking around trying to find this so-called "little fella."
"You two are excited, aren't ya?"
You and Mingi nodded vigorously, earning a chuckle from him.
"Alright." He sighed out, rummaging in a corner where a basket sat. Hagrid pulled a cloth off the top of the weaved container and reached inside. "Well, here he is."
When he turned around he was cradling a small creature in his arms, which was curled in on itself slightly.
Both you and Mingi let out gasps in response.
"A niffler." Mingi squeaked.
"That it is." Hagrid nodded. "You don't have any jewelry on, do you?"
"No sir." You shook your head along with Mingi.
"Good. This guy goes crazy for that stuff."
"Yes, we know. He's so adorable though, you can't help but wanna give him shiny stuff." You cooed.
"It's very tempting, but as soon as he sees something shiny he goes mad and won't stop until he has whatever eye-catching object grabbed his attention. And catching one of these is no easy task. Newt Scamander, the author of yer textbook Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, had a niffler along with many other creatures and one of these guys got out. Ended up in a jewelry store stuffing his pouch with gold and silver."
Your eyes widened along with Mingi's.
"Really?"
Hagrid nodded.
"What happened?" Mingi inquired. "Did he catch the niffler?"
"He did, but it was difficult."

Your gaze moved to the creature still tucked in Hagrid's arms. He noticed your eyes lingering on the niffler, prompting him to hold the little guy out to you.
"Would you like to hold him?"
You nodded eagerly, gingerly taking the creature, cradling him in your arms. Mingi leaned over your shoulder to watch, slowly bringing his hand up to run along the niffler's tummy. He stretched out in your arms in response to Mingi's affectionate actions making you chuckle.
"He likes that." You commented.
"You can brush him if you'd like." Hagrid spoke up.
Mingi nodded eagerly as Hagrid handed him a small oval brush. He began running the bristled object along the niffler's tummy until he rolled over in your arms, allowing Mingi to brush along his back, his eyelids slowly drooping.
"He's closing his eyes." You whispered. "I think he's about to fall asleep."

Mingi's endearing giggles reached your ears, the sound making your heart do flips. He's the biggest softie you'd ever met and everything he does makes you melt. His sweet personality was a big contrast from his deep voice and six foot tall stature. On the outside he (sometimes) looks intimidating but he's really just a big softie who loves to give hugs and gets scared easily.

The both of you moved over to sit on the couch in Hagrid's quaint and cozy hut, Mingi continuing to brush the fuzzy niffler that was slowly starting to doze off in your arms. The atmosphere was pleasant as you watched the little creature's eyes slide shut, the sound of the cracking fire filling the air.
"Can I offer you two somethin' to drink? I can put a pot of tea on." Hagrid offered.
You and Mingi shared a glance before nodding.
He got to work placing a kettle of water over the fire to boil while you continued watching the niffler in your arms. Being close with Hagrid had its perks, one being moments like these where you could spend your free time caring for any creatures that he happened to have.
Mingi's eyes glimmered with unadulterated joy, a toothy grin plastered on his face while gingerly stroking the niffler's back with the brush.