Chapter 1

Gianna's home town^

I was running late for work

I was running late for work. It seems like I'm always working to help pay for our food and house. But it's okay because momma is always working too, and I know we don't have it easy.

Alot of creatures on our planet have powers that can help them have money. Like some can make anything they want appear out of thin air! That would be so amazing. I'd really like to be able to make waffles appear right now.

My stomach hasn't stopped grumbling since last night. It's easily been 24 hrs since I've eaten. But I find that when I think about it more, it makes the pain worst.

Momma lost her powers a long time ago. I don't even remember her having powers. But she told me she used to be so powerful. That's why they are gone. Because the gods were jealous of her. How mean.

I only have one memory of my dad but it's blurry, a faceless man walking out of our front door. Momma said he left because I was too much to handle. She said I've always been stupid and ugly, that's why he left, he couldn't stand being around me.

Momma explained to me that I'm only "book smart" which is how I got such good grades in high school. But she says I'm dumb at everything else, especially "street smart".  She never really explained to me what that meant but it's okay. I probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Momma is the best person ever. She's also my only friend.  People in school also said I was stupid and ugly, that's how I know it's true. No one liked my white hair and dark skin. They said it was too weird to be "natural". As if there's anything natural in this place anyway! I graduated with a centaur and a werewolf! What's natural about that?

 As if there's anything natural in this place anyway! I graduated with a centaur and a werewolf! What's natural about that?

Anyway, that's why mamma is the best, she loves me even though I'm dumb and embarrassing because of how ugly I am. She tells me all the time. She reminds me of her love often. But I can tell she's getting sick of me. She's said I've been eating too much of the food, that there's none left for her. She said I'm getting fat because of it.

I really gotta do better. I always listen to momma because she always tells me the truth. Like how you can't trust other beings. She said that everyone hurts you at some point. "Everyone is just looking for a way to get a leg up in the world" she'd say.