My chest tightens as another lie leaves my lips. "What if it was a copycat? The Mictlantecuhtli is a God in the underground. Naturally, there would be people trying to use her tactics."

He shakes his head, dangling the feather in his fingertips. "No. It's the real Mictlantecuhtli. Who else will target my familia? It's only time before Mictlantecuhtli comes after me. Or worse-- you."

My eyes widen. "Asiel."

"Mika." I flinched at the sound of his shaky voice. "Should we even get married? I'm putting you in jeopardy. They're going to come after you if you're with me."

His words rip the bandaid off my guilt, causing the scabs to bleed again. Fucking hell. Asiel, you don't understand how badly I want to explain everything that happened in the past few months. The good and the unforgivable. I can't stand looking at the faint purple smudges beneath his bloodshot eyes.

But he wouldn't believe me. It's his most beloved cousin, after all.

He needs concrete proof.

My hand latches onto his, squeezing him. "Then let them. Nothing can take us down. We're the definition of indestructible. It's you and me against the world, Asiel. Let's be the Romeo and Juliet of our story."

Asiel arches an eyebrow. "Out of all the couples, you want to be like Romeo and Juliet? Fuck Romeo and Juliet. They aren't us. They can't ever have what we have."

I shake my head with amusement. "I know that's right."

A familiar older woman's head pokes out from the entryway with a black veil over her face. "Asiel?" She calls, her hands trembling as she flickers in both directions. "Asiel!"

"Must be time for the ceremony to start," Asiel says, dropping a long, loving kiss on my knuckles, leaving a sizzling third-degree burn on my skin as a remembrance of his love. "Let's go on a date afterward. To distract ourselves from the imploding world around us."

I nod. "Okay."

For the first time in a while, he flashes one of those boyish grins-- his signature as he waves goodbye and hurries over to his mother. My chest squeezes until it almost explodes on the white walls of the church exterior. How long do funerals last because it's going to be a long hour to wait for him?

I don't mind.

There's no other place I rather be than on Asiel's side.

People pour into the church in their dark clothing with gifts galore to shower Mr. Morterero. Seriously? He has this many followers? Should I be surprised? I'm sure a lot of fucked up people idolized the Mictlantecuhtli.

A gloomy shadow blocks the sun beaming in the sky by resting his arm against the wall, obscuring my view of the golden yolk in the sky. Using his empty hand, Mateo pushes the side of his hair back and flashes a grim smile.

"How does it feel like attending the funeral of the man you just killed?" He asks casually, smiling.

I force a smug smile on my lips. "Lovely."

His finger inches down the slope of my nose, dragging leisurely on my bottom lip. "Does it hurt to watch your boyfriend lose his mind? Just wait until I take everything away. His father was just the start."

My face flinches at his ghastly touch. "Why? What do you get out of it? Didn't Mr. Morterero favor you? What did you get from killing him?"

Mateo clicks his tongue. "We aren't partners, Mika. Those questions are reserved for my partners. You are measly--" An amused smile stretches across his lips. "Just my bitch."