Sixty-Five Mika

The alarm blares in the soundless room, jerking my body upward in full alert

The alarm blares in the soundless room, jerking my body upward in full alert. My eyes squint from the light pouring through the early gray curtains. It takes me a second to remember I knocked out on Asiel's bed, except he's missing. Instead of seeing his handsome, sleeping face, I encounter a letter inscribed to me and his side of the bed made.

It's too early in the morning for Asiel's antics.

Yawning, I reach over for my necklace on the bedstand to only feel a vacant space. What the hell? My heart beat spikes up as if I devoured an entire candy store when my hand finds nothing on my neck. What the fuck? I left it on the cabinet last night. I could've sworn I did! In a swift motion, I drop onto my knees, searching under the bed and rug for it. I throw the covers off the bed, feeling every inch of the bed — but nothing.

Motherfucker.

What am I going to tell Asiel? Hey, babe, apparently, you don't mean that much to me since I lost your purity ring. Clearly, I win the girlfriend of the year award. Sighing in defeat, I do a walk of shame to my personal drawer, selecting a mini bodycon dress with long sleeves. The sweetheart neckline emphasizes the beauty of my girls, and the material clings to my curves like second skin.

I can't believe Asiel left without giving me a good morning kiss-- he always does. After spraying a squirt of my perfume, I slip my feet into my extra pair of pumps and reach for the doorknob. But I halt, catching a glimpse of the navy blue letter on the floor. He must've left it for a reason, right? Kneeling, I grab the letter and rip it open.

My beautiful, loving, courageous Mika,

You didn't think I forgot what today is, did you? Twenty-seven years ago, two horrible individuals gave birth to their only miracle-- you. That's the only thing I'll thank them for, because I wouldn't have made it this far without you. Today is all about you. I feel like things are always heightened because of the danger in our lives, but today it's all you. So, enlighten me for the day, and play along with my little game.

Crack the riddle.

You can drive me in circles listening to your voice as we get lost in the atmosphere. Pink, orange, yellow, and blue bloom in the soil where your next clue lies.

What a cheesy son-of-a-bitch. My heart overflows with Asiel's love for me, needing an extra one to suffice it. Motherfucker really had a member of his familia look me up on the databases because I never mentioned my birthday before. It's just an average day, except we get a year older. Before this year, I didn't really have anything to celebrate, but now I'm thrilled to spend another day with my Muneco.

Nearly twisting my ankle on the stairs, I make a beeline for his Mama's garden and find a white pillar with another navy blue letter. It's surrounded by bouquets of all types of flowers, ranging from every color to the moon and back. They're all labeled for me, forming a sweet, mystic smell in the air. Asiel has a way of displaying his love for me. It doesn't have to be gifts-- it can be as simple as words, but he makes me feel so loved.