Chapter Thirty Nine- Epilogue (Part Two)

Hallee Keaton Mitchell arrived two weeks late and at a whopping weight of 9lbs 10oz. Leah did amazing, although she did say she was glad we had only agreed to one, after pushing a large little one out into the world with no pain relief.

Hallee was a lot like Leah, she had her lagoon blue eyes. They got brighter and brighter until she hit about a year old when the colour settled on Leah's. She was fairer then Leah, but had the freckles, and she was the apple of all of our eye as the youngest by nine years. A longed for little sister for Jameson to dress.

Making a little life with Leah made from our devotion to each other. It made me feel all kinds of things. I was so settled in my soul the day Leah asked me if I would consider one more, and it was suddenly role reversal. Someone was asking of me, what I had asked of other loves. To have a dream, to have a child, and this time I could take her hands and say "I couldn't think of anything I want more"

Hallee was a dream shared, and that's not to say Gage and Asher were wanted more by me than Annie, but I had been the driving force in the decision and the desire to have more children. It sometimes felt when I was pregnant with Asher like Annie was put out by my pregnancy, it was an intrusion into our relationship, because he was taking up so much of my body, and she could no longer have me as she wished. I no longer wanted intimacy with her. I never did during pregnancy, but of course as soon as he had arrived, she fell in love with him and she has been the most wonderful mother since.

This was also my first time not being the one who was pregnant with one of my children, and I loved Leah's changing body. I adored every inch of her and I hope she felt that during her pregnancy, adored and loved. There were massages and lots of bump caresses and honestly she had never been more beautiful. I couldn't imagine how Annie had ever seen it any different, but then I had long learnt that I am not her and she is not me, and our behaviour will never be the same nor can I expect hers to do what I want of it.

In the three years since I had discovered Annie's lies and manipulation we had seen each other only a handful of times, mostly at important moments for the children like an award ceremony, or now, some of Asher's big football games. Annie stayed in New York, she had been single for two years but was now in a relationship with a woman in her late thirties, a little more age appropriate and old enough to have experience in saying no. I think she had actually met her match from what I heard. I doubted Lorena let her get away with the manipulation she used on me, they were two of the same and maybe she needed that, someone to push back as much as she pushed, either way I hoped it was a healthy relationship because despite what Annie had done to me, I still cared about her and I always would wish the best for her, and for her to be the best version of herself for our children.

It was a few weeks ago when Annie came to collect the children for summer that she finally met Hallee. She had knocked the door where usually she stayed in the car. I luckily answered, Leah didn't ever want to see her again and she had done a good job of avoiding it so far since we rarely had to be around her.

"Annie" I say surprised "I didn't see you had arrived I will send the kids out" I suggest.

She shakes her head and pushes her sun glasses up and over her forehead, settling them on her dark hair. "No It's okay. I only just pulled up.., it's good to see you Morgan" she says looking me over and then focusing on the baby on my hip "she's gotten big" she observes taking her in "I see Jamesons pictures of her on her social media" she confirms.

I nod. "Hallee doesn't realise how lucky she is to get featured on her sisters grid, it's usually only reserved for the cool kids... family have been banished" I return jovially.

Annie smiles. "I noticed we don't get a look in" she adds, and she reaches out to touch Hallees little hand that sticks out between us but I back up a little.